Vehicle thrown into sky by hand of god?

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Marc Coyles, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Marc Coyles

Marc Coyles Registered

Have just purchased rFactor2, and it runs perfectly in terms of graphics, controllers etc.

However, I'm still to complete more than 5 laps. At random the hand of god apparently comes from space and flicks my car sideways off the track for literally no reason, and then hoiks it a few hundred feet in the air and it just hovers there, spinning around. I have to bail out of the game and relaunch, and once again I'll be lucky if I get more than 5 laps done before it happens again. It seems to happen whenever it feels like it. I've even been driving down a straight plodding in 4th, and suddenly find my car has submerged into the track... and is now pointing straight up.

Am running Build 156 on a lifetime license, on a 2011 Macbook Pro running Windows 8.

Core i7 2760QM CPU, 8Gb Ram, Radeon HD6770M, MS Sidewinder Force Feedback Wheel.

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Which track? Which car?

3. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

Skip updates="0" // Apparently some drivers can't handle a quick FFB update rate, so use this hack to skip the given number of updates (0=full update rate, 1=half, 2=one-third, 3=one-quarter, etc.)

Try changing this value in your contoller.ini

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Is that a likely fix? I thought a driver that couldn't handle the update rate pushed the CPU up and slowed the game down. Collision issues seem a different matter.

5. Marc Coyles

Marc Coyles Registered

Bianza, Croft... 60's classic, Formula 2, Formula Renault 3.5's... basically does it with more or less all of them at some point or other.

6. privatebrian

privatebrian Registered

Well I have to agree with KaptainKremmen,i also think it's a controller issue,besides it wouldn't hurt to try what he suggests.

7. Marc Coyles

Marc Coyles Registered

Indeed... tried 0, 1, 2 & 3... issue still occurs. So, instead, I just turned FFB off all together. MY GOD!

Different game entirely. I'm flying round fairly close to AI speed, and the hand of god ceases to appear. The car handles VASTLY differently - everything is soooo responsive all of a sudden. Almost as tho this old (heh - first FFB wheel produced!) wheel can't cope with receiving FFB data and transmitting control data. It's bizarre. Been battling with this wheel with rF1 for YEARS, and could never understand why couldn't make any significant progress (friend also). Never thought to disable FFB. It's almost in comparison to flipping from "difficult" to "easy".

But BALLS. That means I'm now gonna _have_ to shell out on a new wheel.

Will continue to tweak around in controllers.ini for now tho, just in case I can stumble on to something in there that gives you same control with FFB on as I currently get with it off without the hand of god turning up. Cheers for speedy suggestions...!

8. privatebrian

privatebrian Registered

Hey glad to hear you sorted it out,and sorry you had to disable the force feedback,because in imo ffb in this
    sim is in another world.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2013
  9. Marc Coyles

Marc Coyles Registered

OK... update. Spent the morning fiddling and found a combination of settings that work... and work rather well!

Reset FFB Time = "30.00000" // THIS ONE
    Gear Select Button Hold="0"
    Hold Flap Button="0"
    Start Hardware Event Monitor="1"
    Use Additional Hardware Features="0" // AND THIS ONE
    Hardware 3Digit Display="0" // AND THIS ONE**
    Skip updates="1" // BUT THIS ONE DIFFERENT***
    Steering resistance type="1"
    Steering resistance coefficient="0.20000"
    Steering resistance saturation="0.20000"
    Rumble strip wave type="3"

**seemed to have desired effect of eliminating hand of god... so possibly it sending LED change messages or some other feature not supported by the wheel were causing it to flip out

***setting this to 1 seems to have had desired effect with regards responsiveness of game

Wheel now working!