.veh file name lenght limitation to 19 characters

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Paolo Pennimpede, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Paolo Pennimpede

Paolo Pennimpede Registered

Hi, we had a bug last evening with our Radical RSR3-RSX championship.
    We have custom skin for each driver, so I built a repack with only the skin needed for the championship modifing and renaming each .veh file.

One of our 20 drivers, "Guglielmo Occhipinti" car #17 had problems, all drivers saw the "uploading skin" icon on the left side of his name in the standing screen. He could not see his own skin, and every other driver saw him with his own skin, so driver number 35 for example saw "Guglielmo Occhipinti" car #17 with his number 35 skin instead of car number 17 skin and so on for all the other drivers.

Log result from the race show this for the bugged driver:

Code:
    <Driver>
    <Name>Guglielmo Occhipinti</Name>
    <Connected>1</Connected>
    <VehFile>CLIO_PC.VEH</VehFile>
    <UpgradeCode>00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000</UpgradeCode>
    <VehName>Unknown</VehName>
    <Category>Pace Car</Category>
    <CarType>Pace Car</CarType>
    <CarClass>Unknown</CarClass>
    <CarNumber>00</CarNumber>
    <TeamName>Unknown</TeamName>
    <isPlayer>0</isPlayer>
    <ServerScored>1</ServerScored>
    <GridPos>18</GridPos>
    <Position>6</Position>
    <ClassGridPos>1</ClassGridPos>
    <ClassPosition>1</ClassPosition>
    <Points>0</Points>
    <ClassPoints>8</ClassPoints>
    <LapRankIncludingDiscos>8</LapRankIncludingDiscos>
    As you can see, the server has not loaded the correct .VEH file, this is the correct file name in .MAS file:
    "17_sabemar_occhipinti.veh"
    I have compared the .VEH file with other drivers but there was no difference exept in .dds file, car number, driver name, team name and description. And compared to his team mate "36_sabemar_amato.veh", file "17_sabemar_occhipinti.veh" was exactly the same except as usual in name, skin, car number and description.

The problem shows only on a dedicated server, the skin in the pack, tested in singleplayer works fine.

After 5 hours of various testing, I found that "17_sabemar_occhipinti.veh" was the file with the longest filename. So after a few more testing I found the filename limit to 19 characters (excluding dot and file extension).

"17_sabemar_occhipin.veh" works fine.

I don't know if or where this limitation is documented in a guide, if it's a known issue or if it's a bug.

lordpantsington likes this.
  2. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

I would call that an undocumented feature :D