User interface (re)design?

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by mgeiss, May 5, 2012.

1. mgeiss

mgeiss Registered

I am pretty disappointed about the appearance of the user interface.
    It looks like designed by a pure programmer or engineer (who usually don't have any style and no taste...).
    The used colors are too mixed up unbalanced and look almost as ****ty as in Live for Speed. The buttons could be from a bad browser game about knights and dragons.

And I was really shocked by the old-fashioned sounds when hovering over the menu buttons that make the game feel like from the last century.
    Would be way better just without them!

Have a look at games from Slightly Mad Studios or Codemasters. Those always kept the menus simple and sexy as they should be.

(@the designer that I maybe made cry: sorry!)

What do you think? Are you happy with it?

2. Cristian Why

Cristian Why Registered

...your bad statements makes mines look all right, and i tough i'm the most hated and worst possible guy in here :(

3. Marco Bijl

Marco Bijl Registered

Yep, I do not like the UI as well.... BUT!

You will NOT hear me complain, as ISI has granted us the options to make custom user interfaces. And to be honest, I have found nothing I would like to change, that can't be changed. I have not finished with what I am doing, but I do have some previous screenshots of it.
    Colors are based on the style of the Racedepartment.com forum.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Like said, it's a work in progress. You can change anything. The buttons, the sounds, the location of the buttons. It's all up to the creative designers around here, to come up with new user interfaces. Let ISI concentrate on the cars, tracks and finshed product :) THats what they do best :p

4. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

I've not too many complaints about the UI. The only thing that really bugs me is picking cars and tracks --> click,click..darn it went to0 far, back click, back click, back click, well heck, I'll just use this one.

5. Dave-NRT

Dave-NRT Registered

I hope Gjon and the gang come up with a user friendly interface modeled with the way rF1 work for dedicated servers and providers.

The ability for a admin to start mod manager just is not an option for a provider that has a dedicated with no remote access to the desktop.

Rfi was so easy for any admin to change mods and or tracks it was ridiculous.

Start a dedicated on there computer with the settings they wanted...stop it and ftp upload 3 files.
    start server

Can't do this with rF2.

Dave

6. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

7. mavericckk

mavericckk Registered

+1, im using in rf1 its great.xUI 1.8 is amazing

8. kixpress

kixpress Registered

i've got to agree, the stock ui is horrible.
    this is my first time with any rfactor game, and i find it very unfriendly.
    you can move across the whole menu only with mouse, keyboard is useless (why you have to force me to use mouse? i'm already sitting behind the wheel!), it's not widescreen compatible, everything is stretched, not easy on eye and low resolution.

9. Luc Devin

Luc Devin Registered

Hi
    What I see on the pictures are too much info and the risk is to see are too small.
    I suggest in this case so much info to the tabs for a better reading.
    Because too much information kills the information.
    We should not spend our time looking :) but already understand how all this rules.

Think of all the world and not ourselves.
    Those who know nothing will leave because they are too complicated to understand.

Translation by Google

10. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

I actually like rF2's interface quite a bit.

11. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Basically I would live with current UI but a few things I found annoying:
    - car and track selector (excepting a bug with rotating too much) is good only if there is a few items available. i cannot imagine using it with 100 tracks
    - main setup page unnecessarily contains only filemanager. It is additional click more when I need to change something in car setup without playing with files
    - and most annoying thing to me due to my racing position: some items like just setup, are located at the bottom of screen. Those items are just covered by my driving wheel and dash. I really would like to have it at top of the screen.

At the end I'm looking forward for xUI-like interface.

12. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

It all looks to much like toy town to me

Be nice if it was upgraded to more of a simulator type look, those mono whitish car arts they released would look great

13. rer8

rer8 Registered

The UI lacks continuity: Example: Sometimes the Accept button is on the far right and other times on the far left.

The buttons for the UI are poorly grouped. How: It is necessary to move from far left to far right to activate the various options presented within the UI. It is time consuming and aggravating because as many users, I have a large monitor, which requires that the mouse travel a large distance. A better way might be to group all selection buttons (left / right / center) vertically so that selections can be made quickly and accurately.

14. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Very true. Also there are missing some hotkeys, or at least ability to jump between items using cursor keys or something like this. I think even ENTER doesn't work for accepting value (ie server password)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2012
  15. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

+1 (wait till the main bulk of mods come, it will be hilarious)

I suppose Rfactor2 lite will eventually come to sort mods out.

16. Nelson

Nelson Registered

The user interface for the weather settings would deserve re-design. Maybe something like in this cheap example, where you could select one of the weather elements, set any values in a x/y-system (x = time/race percentage; y = sky condition like cloudy, sunny, etc.) and let an algorithm connect the values in a curve to do a dynamic weather change. the selected weather element (in this example SKY) could be drawn in the foreground while other elements could be transparent in the background. of course, the category WIND DIRECTION would be a bit difficult since it does not match in the x/y-system. an overall weather forecast with the common logos (raining, sunny, cloudy, etc.) could sum up the options selected by the player. just an idea - what do you think?

View attachment 2779

17. Ahmad

Ahmad Registered

Choosing between cars/tracks/series etc is really terrible. A simple list like rF1 is better and more user friendly, so I would definitely like to see that improved drastically.

18. osella

osella Registered

Another xUI user here..
    I find the menu in rf2 okay with functionality, not so much graphically, some mix with xUI would be perfect for me!