usefullness of the Ghost

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nudger1964, Aug 14, 2014.

1. nudger1964

nudger1964 Registered

hey all,
    Back in the day before rf2 was released, I was really excited because for me, using a ghost is a real short cut to getting up to speed on any given circuit - I am not a dedicated sim racer like many of you, and have limited patience when it comes to learning tracks.
    Sadly, I am finding the way the ghost works in rf2 really isnt very effective as a tool - for 2 main reasons.
    First, the ghost interferes with AI - if i am slow and an AI overtakes me, I want to be able to chase the AI rather than my ghost. Becuase the A! sees the ghost as another real car, they are slowed down by it. Now there not much i can do about this unless ISI decide to change that.
    The second reason perhaps somethibng can be done. It is that now it has got to know me, when i hand over to let AI take control of the car (so i have a faster ghost to chase) it seems to be very slow - much slower than the other AI... is there any way to change this?
    I really would like to be able to have the ghost running a few seconds faster than i am at any given point of learning a track - this is the only way I find ghosts usefull.

2. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

I think you can either the AI or the ghost non interactive with a player.json tweak?
    you can also have the AI learn the track and they can also 'perfect' the track.
    mode 1&2 in again the player.json file.

Although as yet we don't know how mode 1 or mode 2 is selected because ISI have not informed us yet.
    it is a simple switch in the player.json file,use 1 or 2 but for some 1 works but 2 does not and others it's 2 works but 1 does not and we have no idea how/why?

3. stonec

stonec Registered

I gave up with the ghost because it remained buggy for so long, haven't tested it in last few builds. Here is a good plugin that serves the same purpose almost, I had big benefits in laptime from using this.

4. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

If you can't beat your own ghost, why would you want a faster ghost to try and beat? I think OP is missing the point of ghost car completely. shrug.

5. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Not being able to beat one ghost means basically that you have reached your limit of self-improvement. However since that limit is not the real limit you might want to chase a faster car and see where does he make the time difference. Watching how other people manage different curves you might improve your driving technique.

I used to play chess against the AI in my Kasparov-TeamMate electronic chess when I was a kid. After playing level 5 for many games you got to win more games than losing. However after getting used to play with level 7, it made level 5 seem to suck afterwards.
    In order to improve you need to set more demanding goals as you increase your level.

6. nudger1964

nudger1964 Registered

shrug back at you, Jamie for thinking there is "one" point of using a ghost - following a faster car works for me - if you get stuck at a certain pace maybe you are doing something wrong.
    I am not trying to beat the ghost.
    Like I said, I find it a short cut to getting up to a competitive pace. It is certainly more effective if you have access to real peoples ghosts rather than AI - but it is better than nothing.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2014
  7. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Haven't used ghost since DeltaBest plugin released. Try that instead. Less buggy. Much more informative. Not as arcade. Do it.

8. nudger1964

nudger1964 Registered

Thanks P.S.R - I do use deltaplugin already. It is great for improving, but it not the giant leaps I get from ghost while getting used to car/track combination.

9. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

Where I find ghosts most useful is when you can download those of drivers that are just slightly faster than you and learn from them. I think Forza has that option.

10. nudger1964

nudger1964 Registered

absolutely - at the risk of bringing on the hate - that was what was so great about Forza.
    There have been conflicting reports as to whether you can do it with rF2 - I would think it very useful for teams if it is possible - the ghost of a faster guy in the same car and set up is easily the most effective way to get up to speed in my opinion