Use of ABS and Traction Control Driver Aids

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by stuboyle, Nov 26, 2023.

1. stuboyle

stuboyle Registered

I went back and noticed I have ABS and Traction Control set to "LOW" in my Gameplay settings. In the long run, could these settings make me slower? For example, I keep getting beat off the line while running the online races with the Tatuus FT-50. I generally prefer to keep the driver aids to a minimum, within reason.

Now, I suspect that traction control is making my driving more consistent, but ultimately slowing me down. ABS on the other hand seems more like a cheat for cars it didn't come with. Thoughts?

2. Love Guitars n Cars

Love Guitars n Cars Registered

I'm not sure but I recently just found out the BMW has onboard TC and wow, gained a bunch of time. lol.

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

ABS is often a braking advantage when it's not too strong, but may add a ballast penalty which offsets it. (depends on the car)

I would check when actually online though, whether the aids are active. One of the MFD pages shows which aids are on, and the server settings page I think will also show what's allowed. I have seen some mention of aids in the bronze series so I assume they're allowed in there.

For the long term it's best to disable all driving aids, but test and use the on-vehicle ones as mentioned above; cars with the systems are designed for them.

4. stonec

stonec Registered

Yep, the main point here is that usually aids come with a weight penalty to the car. Unfortunately we can't see the exact value for cars that are licensed that come with encrypted physics.

I'm not a big fan with how rF2 handles aids. iRacing does it better in my view by not allowing aids on cars that don't have them in real life. In rF2 you have the weight penalty, but let's say traction control enables you to reduce wheelspin on exits and therefore improves tire wear. This could make a bigger difference towards the end of the race than having few more kg on the car.

Aids should basically always make you slower or not be allowed at all I think. In bronze series there are way too many aids allowed at some level IMO.

5. Allwin20200

Allwin20200 Registered

Wait, there is a way to remove the assists in the official BMW M2 beginner races? Tatuus cars have any aids?
    With the M2 I know I'm not using TC because my car slides a lot, but I'm definitely using ABS which I rather not to use it, even if it makes me slower... but I thought you couldn't change it because of the fixed setups. Am I missing something?

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I believe what's being discussed is game aids, not car aids/systems.

Allwin20200 likes this.