US F2000 Tire Temperature Issue

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Manuel Willems, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Manuel Willems

Manuel Willems Registered

Hello, this is my first and not my last post on this informative forum.

I race for an sim racing team and next year we will be racing whit the USF2000 car. But every team member has the same proplem, and that is to get temperature in the rear tires. The car has one slick compound and we have tried many things, like more toe-in, lower tire pressure etc. But nothing seems to work to get more temperature in the rear tires.

Is there someone that can give us some tips.

Whit best regards Manuel Willems

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Hi, I've only briefly driven this car so will only give some generic advice, no one else has replied so why not...

Low rear temps usually mean higher front temps, which indicate understeer overall. So rather than trying to find specific settings on the rear that give more temperature (like toe), see if you can change the overall balance so the rears are doing more work.

Sometimes the rears being cold make you nervous with the throttle as well (cold tyres mean easy spins) but that just keeps them cold. Also the setup might be made to understeer more to combat the slippery rear tyres, which makes it harder to get some angle on the car under power (until you overdo it and spin).

The other side is that over a race distance you might want to save the rears, depending on the effects. Heating and wearing all corners at the same rate can make the car difficult to drive later, as it's usually easier to cope with understeer than with rears that won't put power down anymore.

Manuel Willems likes this.
  3. Manuel Willems

Thank you lazza, and can you give me some advice how to tackle the understeer problem. Do you need some information from the setup.

4. DanielK

DanielK Registered

I drove this car a while ago in a league, from memory it was very much a car that you turn with the throttle. It doesn’t have huge amounts of grip and it’s very much a driver’s car, you need to use the front to turn it into the corner and the rear to drive it through and out of the corner. I’m not going to give setup advice on the car but essentially you need it handling in a way that when turning in you get the back end stepped out a little (so aim to allow a fair bit of weight transfer to the front), then mid corner you want to get on the throttle progressively as the slip angle reduces in the rear, to keep the rear tyres loaded and working. The more the car oversteers, the better the rear tyres will work (obviously if there’s too much slide you’ll lose time, so it’s a fine balance)

5. Manuel Willems

Thanks Daniel, I'm going to try this. More weight to the front, can I achieve this whit the brake balance more to the front, and a higher front wing setting?. A setup is such a personal thing, so I'm not aiming at that, it's more that I know where to look in the setup.

Best Regards Manuel.

6. Comante

Comante Registered

One or two clicks in the front wing and some clicks to the rear in the brake balance will help a lot, but I second the notion that is better and safer to have a understeery car at the end of the race than a oversteering one. So beware.

7. Manuel Willems

Thanks Comante, I will definitely try this.