Upcoming RF2 changes?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Denstjiro, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

This is a follow up on the excellent Upcoming ISI Content List thread.

I thought it would perhaps be a good thing if we did the same on rf2-tech stuff and combine our efforts in collecting info on things that ISI have confirmed/discussed/denied/etc?

I'm having a hard time finding out what is going change in the next builds or final build and there are some issues that concern me. (the search function is inconclusive) and i know that there are loads of peeps whom only ever so often check the forums or update rf2 and will be wondering the same questions over and over.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For example:
    Will rf2 still allow modmakers to attach tracks to their mods? Or will this change before gold?
    Some folks here would want to see this changed as this issue is raising quite some concerns.
    Discussion/poll about the subject.

Will the mod-manager become more user friendly?
    I dont think it is atm. if you dont use rf2 allot and skip a few builds most peeps end up confused and have forgotten how things work.
    For example i dont know how many times i had to tell people to click options and un-thick Show-mods-only. why not have two buttons in sight?
    Simple stuff that should be logical and not allways is. i realy dont want to be a league admin for the next 7 years in rf2 and having to guide people through stuff endlessly because things confuse them.
    Sure, we will get used to stuff if we use it allot ofter gold but surely new users also need a smooth entry in to rf2 rather then facing isses.

Matchmaker down-times?
    ISI said there is a plan for a backup server to minimize downtime in the future. here

Realistic Clutch
    Tim hinted of a realistic clutch option. Development has not started as of January 5th 2013.

Textured damage
    Textured armco damage planned for the future.

Protection against online wreckers
    build 90 discussion but still, huge potential for rf2. Stated as 'on the radar' here.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Issues like logical button-placement in UI, perhaps techy stuff for modmakers. we seem to keep going round and round on issues whilst there might allready have been something said about it by Tim or his compadres.

If this gets picked up on with additional questions/awnsers, perhaps even by Tim himself or ISI releasing a shortlist of essentials that are worked on, i can edit the first post accordingly and we have a list of things we can refere to in those many occasions the same questions are beeing asked or are simply worthy of knowing by default.

No critisism to ISI btw or trying to pin them down on stuff, just trying to get some clarification on things and possibly make it abit easyer to follow stuff around here.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2013
  2. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Crap, thread title should have a questionmark, i dont want people to get exited by the title thinking they are going to get some goodies.
    Can this be changed pls? thx :)

3. Max Angelo

Max Angelo Registered

4. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

I think you have totally missed your own point about this thread. The first example you start with "Personally" that means this is your opinion or even a wish. We have a wish list sub-forum full of those. The second example again "I don't think". There are countless threads where people exchange their opinions.
    If you want to start something different you should state facts with links to what Tom or some other ISI member confirmed/denied/said.

5. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Thx Max :)

Abriel, theoretically you are right but to me there is a clear difference between wishing something and trying to get awnsers concering the technical side of rf2's future.
    I'm not the only one concerned with mods+tracks, this has been discussed a million times allready from build 0 to 134.
    This issue is quite a concern because it could well influence the way people use rf2 in the future.
    So its not something like 'will we see the Nordschleife in rf2' , that is for the wish-list indeed.

Equaly for the mod manager, yes i would like an awnser for myself but i reckoned this is of concern to others as well.

I'm not talking about opinions either, i would like to see if these questions have allready be anwsered by ISI. I for one have not been able to find awnsers. if there are any.

That is exactly why i created this thread, i dont know the facts to these things. once i get them, i will edit the first post.

I've added a new one about Matchmaker, is that more to your liking?

6. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

I understand you want to know the answers and I agree there are a lot of others that want to know the answers too (who doesn't want to know). But that was my point - every other thread is a thread where someone has some issue or opinion about something and wants a reply from ISI if or when will that be fixed/changed.
    And yes the matchmaker thing is more in line with the thread purpose. Hopefully you will also get the other answers and make this thread an useful resource. Keep up the good work!

7. kotakotakota

kotakotakota Registered

ISI tends to be much less direct with actual features, so this might be a little difficult. Regardless, here's something:

Realistic Clutch
    Tim hinted of a realistic clutch option. Development has not started as of January 5th 2013.

8. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

It would be nice to have more updates from devs about on what are they working now, or what changes did they make to this or that, additions. For example a weekly devs report in some short words about what they did that week and what can we expect in next build.

Like a list:
    - changed some physics parameters for Clio
    - tweaked some HUD design
    - minor details changed in driver animations
    - 2 new chairs added in shop at Lime Rock Park

And stuff like that.. It will make people happier, we will see that it is constantly working on something, there will be more discussions about those changes, additions, news and forum will be more active..

9. kotakotakota

kotakotakota Registered

The problem there is that most changes tend not to be visible. The seemingly short list might actually make some folks think ISI is actually slacking off with their development.

10. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Thanks kotakotakota, added to the first post.

Also found the link for the Matchmaker Backup and added Texture Damage.

Still would like to know what the (possible) status is on mods+tracks. this one actualy worries me.

11. kotakotakota

kotakotakota Registered

You're very welcome my friend! :)

As for mods+tracks, I sort of try to cover a bit of that (at least the tracks) in my ISI content thread, but it seems the information there is a lot harder to find...

12. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Yeah i've been searching quite abit since i started the thread, i wanted to get more info in the first post but its hard to find stuff.

I also just followed up in the ISI guys themselfes via their profile/posts to see if i could find some more conclusive stuff but even that is hard. These guys are well trained lol. And people should take it easyer on Tim, the amount of crap he gets....plus he talks allot :)
    I actualy felt like a stalker trying to pin the ISI guys down on things they said, it felt abit wierd because thats not my intention at all.

13. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

It could be a list of essentials, like a direction they are taking things or planning on doing that will effect rf2 directly.
    I fully understand they would be hesitant to do so, on the other hand, if there are items that are planned to be implemented/released/changed and it is mentioned then they could also be preventing allot of endless bickering and questions about it.

14. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

I think they have said countless times that they won't be doing that. They have no time/will to give us weekly or monthly status updates and that is what it is probably going to be also in the future.

But I like this thread. Every now and then we get an answer from ISI stating that "xx is planned to be added sometime". That kind of things should be added to this thread so we can keep up and do not need to submit so many threads on the same subject every time. I think this could include all the possible changes coming (features, game engine and content by ISI). But maybe not rumors ( or then it should be said that nothing certain have not been said).

Edit: I hope there is an update today :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2013