Unrealistic tire temperature behaviour / Motec

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Kaine, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Kaine

Kaine Registered

I have now tested rfactor 2 for a few times, and wanted to start with a little bit of work on the setup.

What I see is that the tire temperatures behave strange on over driving the car by exploding t in a unrealistic way.

If you spin the car it reaches up to 400 °C

So if you try to set up the tire pressure or chamber and you exit the session often there are totally unrealistic numbers there.

I heard of strange behaviour and read something in the one or other thread but not in this context.

If you play arround with Motec and analyse the date it is even more visible how the tire temperatures go mad racing through corners.

Is that known that there is an unrealistic behaviour up to now?

2. Atle Dreier

Atle Dreier Registered

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2012
  3. jtbo

jtbo Registered

With mad burnout I can reach over 900C, I guess that there is still some work to be done with my tires, something might be wrong.

4. Atle Dreier

Atle Dreier Registered

I think the 'problem' is that the tires don't catch fire and disintegrate like they would in real life at those temps. This allows some unrealistic peak tiretemps. For normal operation it seems pretty spot on. When you are on the limit and mess up one corner it takes a few corners for the tires to get back to their sweetspot, but they aren't ruined. I'd like to see flatspots being more severe, though. Right now you get the graphic representation of flatspots, but no noticeable performance penalty.

5. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Maybe it is easier to lock wheel when you have flat spotted it first? Might be my imagination, but I have had lot of wheel locking after first lockup, before that it was not so easy to lock the wheel, that is impression I have got, but haven't really tested that.

My problem with temps might be because my construction of tire, there are many aspects that I do not understand yet.

6. Kaine

Kaine Registered

Did somebody deal with Motec
    View attachment 3318
    hopfully you can see this picture. there you can see that the old behaviour no matter of gtr2 or rfactor on was smoothly on any corners. This was the behaviour you can make decisions for pressure and chamber to get the 5 °C from in to out for max grip.
    Now I understand (thanks alte dreier), if these are surface temperatures, not carcass this makes it completly impossible to setup your tires with reference to the temperatures, because it depends hardly form when you exit !
    So the only way is really to work with motec to get a meaningful statment of your setup!?
    :-(
    I am not happy with that!
    Does anybody know why this has been changed by isi?

7. jtbo

jtbo Registered

I think that I saw option show horizontal temps in PLR file, now if one would set that to not show horizontal temps, what it might show?

8. Atle Dreier

Atle Dreier Registered

The surface temps will approach carcass temps pretty fast. I usually drive a few laps to get tires up to a good, stable temperature and then drive slow for a while to see where the temps seem to end up. It's not perfect, but it gets me in the ballpark, like in real life.

What we should have (and might have already somewhere) is a pyrometer reading (the actual carcass temp) when we enter the pit. That would be the proper way (and the most realistic) to measure tire temps.

9. Atle Dreier

Atle Dreier Registered

The surface temps will approach carcass temps pretty fast. I usually drive a few laps to get tires up to a good, stable temperature and then drive slow for a while to see where the temps seem to end up. It's not perfect, but it gets me in the ballpark, like in real life.

What we should have (and might have already somewhere) is a pyrometer reading (the actual carcass temp) when we enter the pit. That would be the proper way (and the most realistic) to measure tire temps.

A few real life tips on measuring tire temps in this article

10. hardcastle

hardcastle Registered

i think like in rf1 the front tyres are too cold, means they getting too hot
    the goal is to get almost all tyres the same temps (ideal).
    if i work on that the cars (for me mostly the 60 f2) that way , i get too much push.
    in rf1 i changed the values in the tyr file
    i am the onlyone to feel that?
    is rf2 able to fo a real 4wheel drift? that will be in my point the benchmark for reality