Unexpected network error

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bwana, Dec 18, 2014.

1. bwana

bwana Registered

Had been having this issue occasionally in last build and thought it was rectified , then whamo this morning it happened again, anyone else having this or is it my OS.

2. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

This maybe old but it's happening to me now.
    New PC and want to install and activate rF2 but it's giving me this. As if setting up a new PC isn't enough work on it's own.

I found nothing but this unanswered thread here. I've set the firewall and antivirus to allow rF2 to communicate. Any ideas would be appreciated.
    Thanks guy's.

3. bwana

bwana Registered

Hi D. Painter, I hadn't had the issue after a fresh install for quite some time until during a league race last week, On another thread it was suggested GPU wasn't coping. but as you have a new pc perhaps there is more to this story. It was suggested though that its most likely OP end. BTW being an Aussie this may interest you. https://www.facebook.com/simracingaustraliaRFactor2

4. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

The new PC is Win8.1 . It has a lot more security stuff then I'm used to. Far to much I think. I have allowed rF2 in the firewall. Just trying to sign in with rF2 isn't working.
    Is there something I'm missing with Win8.1?
    I'm finding I even have to use a password to get on the PC! never had that to worry about before and can't find a way to get rid of it. It uses the M/S account. Had to get that with this OP because you can't do anything with Email, Skype and so on without it.
    Not a fan of all the hassle you get with it. code emails all the time.

5. bwana

bwana Registered

maybe try to run the machine as administrator? may give you more access to pc settings?

6. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

Thanks mate. Tried that, still no luck.
    I've got rF1, and all the steam games are working fine. It's only this game that's giving issues. Not sure why it's so hard just to sign it!

7. bwana

bwana Registered

One of league members is having similar issues with re activating on a new machine. seems to be quite common.

8. FatCity

FatCity Registered

I'm in the same league as bwana and I suggested to our member that is having problems that it might be from having new hardware and using a saved folder from RF2. Did you do a complete reinstall and then just copy over the license etc because from what I have read, to me it looks like you may have to register the install again. I'm not sure if this is right but I think that maybe RF2 recognises the hardware that it was installed on and then when you copy over the license/activation, it wont start because its not the same hardware ( motherboard mainly from what I can gather, changing cpu or graphics or ram doesn't make a difference )
    I might be 100% wrong about this but maybe they did this to stop being cracked etc.

Anyone from ISI know anything about this??? nothing worse than having to use an activation just to get the game going again after a hardware update, after all, people that upgrade their systems expect a vast improvement in performance, not being locked out of game altogether.

9. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

It was a new install from a download of the latest build exe. Only thing I took from the one PC was the package folder.
    I was aware that copying the license over doesn't work, didn't try to do that.
    I've tried bringing all the folders from the old PC just now and being aware the license isn't in the rFactor2 folders in Program or Document folders it would still need to be activated. I don't have a issue with doing that. I just wish it would just work as it should. Every other game or program are all working fine.

10. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

Well this is interesting. I guess no ISI member knows anything about this either sins none have chimed in on any suggestions.
    Looks like me and a few others that are having this issue are on our own. Not sure how I'd go about fixing this. As I see it we should be able to sign in on any PC or devise for that matter without issue. Sadly it's not the case.
    Oh well, I guess I'll just move my attention to what either else you other guy's that can't sign in are using. AC perhaps? Pcars? At least they work!

11. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Have you posted in the Bug forum? Have you contacted Technical support? or are you just hoping the main forum is the place to get answers which means you missed the big lettering at the top: PLEASE NOTE THAT STAFF MAY BE UNABLE TO RESPOND IN THESE FORUMS. CONTACT SUPPORT FOR A DIRECT REPLY.

:)

12. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

Oddly enough when this problem first came up the obvious thing to do was to use the search. This isn't or I'm NOT the first or will be the last person this will happen to. In the search however, this was the thread that showed up.
    So before going off the deep end at me maybe you might consider this thread wasn't started by me and it is going on three months old so I would have thought at least one ISI member would have seen it in that period of time. As for the others over a long time that have posted on numerous occasions more so when a main core update is release though none of these showed in the search.

13. MarcG

MarcG Registered

just offering the obvious help, if ISI havn't seen this then maybe YOU need to directly contact them instead of stating: "AC perhaps? Pcars? At least they work!". Sly digs wont help your cause in getting help from ISI.

14. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

I just retried to sign in and it now works. There was no mistakes on my behalf as to why it didn't log in before. The log in details didn't change at any time as it's a copy and pasd of back up text file.

These sort of comments don't come out of nothing, They come out of frustration with a product that constantly disappoints. Then for it to fail in the simplest task like logging in....

15. stonec

stonec Registered

pCars isn't released yet so it's a bit early to claim it will be bug free. There is random downtime issues on any network service from time to time, of course relying on big service like Steam will minimize such issues, which is the way rF2 is (hopefully) heading as well.

16. MarcG

MarcG Registered

if it constantly disappoints why do you play it? serious question, if something constantly disappoints me I stop playing it...period!

17. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

View attachment 16135

It is easy, if you need ISI, contact ISI. Doesn't matter how many posts you see about something, threads and posts are not the right door to knock on, if you really need urgent help (as you see in the forum disclaimer). ;)

PS: copy paste the pass from a text it's not a bulletproof method to join something, as you can accidentally select a "space" just after the password causing a credential error.