Undertrays, graphic offset and scraping sound effect…

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by MileSeven, Mar 14, 2022.

1. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

OK, so the vehicle I’m working on has a fair old front overhang at reference-plane height and there’s been a suspicion that it can ground out in extreme situations (e.g. hammering through the Eau Rouge dip at Spa).

The original version of the vehicle did not have any undertray locations ahead of the front axle line.

In Dev Mode, I have verified that *dropping* the car body using a negative graphic offset can lift the front wheels and reduce/eliminate the front suspension/tyre loads… …so I’m guessing that if the front overhang does impact the terrain on track, it will unload the front on one or both sides…(?)

This is ok - but I’d like to give the pilot warning (audible) of grounding/scraping…

I’m struggling to make this effective. I’ve borrowed a sound file and .sfx entry (vs_inside_scraping_road or something) from a vehicle that does have a ground-out sound - and added undertray locations to the leading edge/corners of the nose/overhang - but even with artificially soft front springs, low ride height, high front downforce etc., I can seem to trigger the scrape sound…

What might I be missing? I understand from the sfx file that the volume of this effect can be boosted by a multiplier (is there a limit on these multipliers?) and guess that an undertray location needs to strike the track - but are there any other factors that are known to influence a scrape?

I’ve even tried (in the vehicle I borrowed the sfx file and .sfx entry from) dropping a couple of undertray points well below the reference plane so that they’re always in contact with the road - but still can’t recreate the sound….!

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I think the ground scrape sfx hasn't worked since rF1. Possibly for the same reason as the there are no sparks in rF2.

3. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

That’s a shame if true. I wonder what the sound I heard in Eau Rouge was - the bump-stop sfx I found in the same vehicle? Hmm…

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

There's definitely an undertray scraping sound (I'll estimate it was reintroduced in around 2015, give or take 2 years) but I suspect its form and volume is hardcoded.

(and likely limited to the first four undertray points, correlating to "ride heights")

5. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

Thanks again. Currently, the four key points are set near to the wheels for ride-height purposes. I don’t currently have a diffuser section (which I understood also uses these points(?) so I’ll experiment with placing two of them on the extremities of the nose/overhang where they are most likely to impact in a sudden way (as opposed to the ridiculous ‘jacking’ sub-body positions I tried yesterday in order to get a continuous drag).