Uncomfortable lag in servers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Crusher112, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Crusher112

Crusher112 Registered

I am experiencing a pretty bad lag when there are about and over 20 people in one server at the time. The lag occurs when people join or leave the server. For few seconds I get 15-20 FPS which is really frustrating when you are on a good lap or in the middle of the corner. The usual FPS ranges from 70-90. About half hour ago I also experienced something that I had felt before but not as long-lasting. I uploaded a video of this situation. after the T1 in Mills I was flat out. The little bump into the rear you can see is another player driving into me due to it. He wasn't however present in the replay.

This problem is actually even more frustrating as it can ruin your lap completely. For example I was on the start/finish straight a few minutes later having done a pretty good lap but this occured and lost 4 seconds on the straight cruising like this.

Is there any known solution to get around this problem? I've lowered my graphics settings quite low already as you can see from the video.

E: Forgot to say that all the other drivers were driving at full speed when I started "cruising", so its not internet related.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2012
  2. RCRacing

RCRacing Registered

Ive had that same issue.I thought it was my machine but it is up to spec for recommended specs.I think it is the track myself and maybe the Renault. Not sure.

3. Radar

Radar Registered

Happens with Open wheelers also. Something not quite right with the online part. I've got two dedi running on one server both with different mods, the moment the numbers online increase on one of those connections the lag starts. At one point I had a smooth game on one with 5 people while the other dedi had 10 or more.

I can't put my finger on what is cause such horrible lag when the numbers increase, I know some communities are testing with big numbers so I can only hope they find something.

4. Heikki360

Heikki360 Registered

I don't have any of those problems, i've played a couple of races with +25 drivers, no lag, no fps drops. For example:

Anyway, remember this is just a beta.

5. Thomas

Thomas Registered

Said it in an other thread, too. http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/2157-Car-runs-in-slow-motion-even-with-average-70fps

but ill post it her cause it seems the thread-opener there had an simliar but not the same issue. I have this exact kind of lags (like in the first video) in every race.

@Crusher112, did you try the "Skip Update" Option in the controller.ini, explained here:http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/1522-Software-is-jerky-falls-out-of-realtime-CPU-is-100?highlight=jerky? Didnt helped me but maybe it works for you.

Here are my specs, hopefully we can find a solution fast. This "bug" is really frustrating.

Phenom II x4 940 @ 4x 3,0 ghz
    Sapphire HD5870, 1 gig RAM
    4 gig System-RAM
    G25 Wheel, with Clubsport Pedals
    Windows 7 64bit
    Mobo: Asus M3A78-CM

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2012
  6. Crusher112

Crusher112 Registered

Wow that's a coincidence. It is me (I.Kalamees) spinning in the first corner after I got hit by another driver. My video is actually also taken in the same server just after that race in practice session of the next track.
    Anyway, I'm not whining about it or anything and I obviously realise that it is beta, but I'm just asking if there is a solution for this problem. Pretty often these things can be solved by turning something down in the settings for example. And damn, I wish I could play the game so smoothly.
    @Thomas Haven't tried it, definitely will tomorrow and report back.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2012
  7. Anakin

Anakin Registered

I have the same issue as the starter of this thread. Actually we drove just a race on Mills with Meganes (26 laps) and it happened to me at least twice on the race and few times during prac/qual. It's quite frustrating to drive on the main straight and suddenly your car goes to slow motion mode and all the others goes full speed.. You'll lose like a 2-3 secs by a snap.

And it wasn't only me, few others were also complaining about the same thing after race.

I have the "skip update" already turned on, but it's not helping.

My specs are i5 750, 560gtx and 16gb and I keep all the gfx-details as low as possible (except shadows are on, but even they are set to low). So it should not be frame rate or cpu related. I didn't have any other programs using network while driving or other computers connected to my router. Our server is in good datacenter and my network connection is also really good so it should not be a network issue either.

8. flitzi

flitzi Registered

it's definitly a server thing, my brother and I race in the same room and we always have it at the exact same time. It suxx, but it seems to be the same for all, so at least it's fair ;-)

9. Robert Gödicke

Robert Gödicke Registered

Happened a couple of times here as well, for two of my friends too.
    It's strange somehow because you can see the laptime and your opponents going on in realtime, while your own car somehow enters a "slow motion" like behaviour, including the speed.

Plus, it happened for many other people I couldn't talk to, but I've seen it happening most of the time on the main straights to the finish line, when suddenly other cars become incredibly slow.

10. Thomas

Thomas Registered

hey,

just wanted to ask if there's any news on this problem? it's just driving me crazy!

I noticed something over the days: every time the slowmo-effect occurs, most of the other cars have no front and rearwing and it seems there wheels are just "off", but the cars are driving absolutly normal, so there's no damage, its only visual... on some servers the opponent cars are displayed just fine and then there is no slowmo-effect the entire session. could there be a connection?

11. LeZaz

LeZaz Registered

I also have a lot of lag (from 60 fps to 14-17) in Monaco with only 1 other car online and, except for my xp home 32 bits with 4gig of RAM, I'm meeting and way above the recommended rig required.
    I'm not using the HDR and the AA is at 4X only.
    I did not get the chance to experiment with the other tracks yet.

LeZaz