UI improvements

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by Kknorpp001, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

I did a search for UI and came up with nothing so sorry if there is already a wish list item for this. While there are a number of UI improvement opportunities, I believe there are some core UI design principles, such as minimize required clicks, get as much information on the screen as possible without overwhelming user, etc.

With respect to rf2 in particular I believe there are at least two issues. One is just that is hard for newbies to understand what the settings mean and find them, etc. The other is the pain inflicted by having to reload a track the change a setting that is not available in the track menus.

For example, I find the following to be the relevant settings that are set outside of track:

Series
    Vehicle
    Track
    Race Settings
    Start Type
    Start Time
    Race Laps
    Race Time
    Time Scale
    Grid Position
    Finish Criteria
    Real Road
    Run Warmup
    Flag Rules
    Fuel Usage
    Tire Wear
    Mech. Failures
    AI Drivers
    Damage Multiplier
    AI Strength
    AI Aggression
    Transparent Trainer
    Lead Time

It is very inconvenient and time consuming to have to leave the track to change these settings and reload the track so my recommendation is to make these settings changeable from the track or display all of them so people can review before loading the track. Also, having them all on one page is easier than clicking in and out of series, track, vehicle & race settings menus as this inefficient and have have enough rsi injuries from our racing wheels without adding to it with unnecessary clicks ;-).

So having all the settings above on one screen will reduce clicks and unnecessary menu navigation and also allow getting into a race with 2 clicks. The first click would be the Race button on the main screen as described above and the second click would be the Race button in the track and then you would be racing in two clicks!

Last thing is that it would be great to be able to click on any item on the main settings screen as described above (btw the above is for the offline race mode and actually not sure why there are two modes instead of just a button for multiplayer but I'm sure there is a good reason for having multiple distinct executables) and see details or pick from the list. So for example, if Spark F1 is vehicle and you want to change it you should be able to click on "Spark F1" and a full screen of thumnails of all your cars comes up and you can sort or filter these thumbnails or choose a list mode, etc. You get the idea. These are all well-known UI best practices.

Anyway thanks for listening and if there is already a thread on this I would love to see it and participate in that. Thanks again.

1 person likes this.
  2. rer8

rer8 Registered

If this was a newspaper this post would be an Op Ed.

I keep coming back to this thread because opening the game and seeing this interface is like a first date. Looks pretty but you still don't know anything about the person or in this case the car, track, and game procedures. I just took about an hour and went back to the original rFactor. Navigating the UI in rF1 is simple. It is clear, concise and complete and the real kicker it is visible to the user. It follows what I have called the "KISS" principle. For the uninitiated, that is "Keep It Simple Stupid." Now please, don't think I am calling anyone stupid. I am an old infantrymen and that is how we always defined a plan that was, you got it, "Clear, Concise, Complete." After almost a year using the current User Interface for rFactor 2, I am still finding new things. Sometimes, things are better left unchanged.

... And by the way, I concur with the observations of Kknorpp001.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2012
  3. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Yes the UI & pics etc look very low res & very out of date

A higher res look (I know it depends on the users settings etc but things being set out smaller etc would help)

& maybe use those grey looking car images ISI released earlier would be best

4. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

5. Knight of Redemption

Knight of Redemption Registered

Been a few threads on the subject, I recall Tim saying on one of them that the UI has many changes planned and many more functions will be added over time. I would guess this is not too high on the list of things to come in the immediate future but I do look forward to them when they do, hate messing around with files to do things that should these days be in the UI or to back out from the race window to do adjustments like those listed by the OP

6. jtbo

jtbo Registered

I did wrote about UI subject here a bit.
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/8773-Frustrations-with-rF2-in-its-current-state?p=118056&viewfull=1#post118056

I now remembered how single page for single car approach was done pretty well in Accolade's Grand prix, some images on this page:
    [​IMG]

Stunts had bit similar, but '3d' view of the car:
    [​IMG]

Test drive from Accolade had also similar system to grand prix:
    [​IMG]

Street rod had then list of cars where you chose car from (car's name above clock opened the list from my memory):
    [​IMG]

Thing is that I consider any of those better than current car selection in rF2 (they did show some data and number of vehicles was limited so it worked there), it is good thing that there will be changes as at least for me current method is not working so well. I always end up going over one I want, also as there are 60's formulas in many places of the list as other vehicles, it is bit difficult to get one I want and more time consuming than some other method.

Best car selection has been rF1, imo, of course Accolade style data presentation that would tell transmission type etc. would be nice, more data is better as more buttons is also better :)

7. rer8

rer8 Registered

Let's see... Build 125 UI. Needs some help... sometimes the Exit is a check-mark and the next screen the Exit is an X. My goodness. Keeps us guessing...