UI fps limits?

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by davehenrie, Apr 13, 2023.

1. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I have my video card software running a fps display that is separate from the ingame fps. So I can see the fps while in the menus as well as during driving. At Portland with just GTE Porsches, I was averaging a fairly high number for my settings, over 150avg & up to 224 fps max. I must have changed a setting somewhere as that is higher than I'm used to seeing.
    However, what caught my eye was the fps when I was off the track in the garage & then the main screen menus. I was pumping out 440fps. I've read some other games have fried video cards when menus allow runaway fps. Is there a setting I've missed to limit the fps during UI Menu use?

2. Bernat

Bernat Registered

The FPS can be limited, but the same limit is applied to the UI and in-game. It's generally recommended to have an FPS limit for more stable response times. I remember having read about a FPS limit in the UI but I think it's only when the UI is loading the track and cars for a session.

I don't think a video card can be fried by high FPS. It sounds like an analogy with RPM but it doesn't work the same way. The GPU could be doing the same work at 30fps in a highly demanding game than at 440fps drawing simple things.