trouble with pico 4

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Joe695, Mar 1, 2023.

1. Joe695

Joe695 Registered

Hello together, I have trouble with my Pico 4.
    I can't get the Pico 4 and Rfactor to work together. (USB-connection)
    The system should fit, ryzen 9 and rtx3080 notebook.
    It worked best with the virtual desktop.
    Although I have the cockpit view set, I always hover over the vehicle and everything is a bit jerky. It makes you feel sick after a lap of the Nordschleife.
    There must be a way to get the damn glasses to work with rfactor, right?
    Thanks in advance for your help.
    Greetings jörg

2. Joe695

Joe695 Registered

its better, when I set in graphics the post effects from ultra to low. But i still hover over the car although i have chosen the cockpit view.
    No Ideas?
    Thanks Jörg

3. The_Bad_Fasterd

The_Bad_Fasterd Registered

What you want to do is go to the settings menu, then to “assign” controls tab and map “vr center headset position” to a button, preferably your steeringwheel.

Now when youre hovering above the car that button should put you in the cockpit and you can use it any time you feel like your position is not right…
    Note that you can still change the seating position to move around the camera.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2023
    Joe695 likes this.
  4. The_Bad_Fasterd

Another thing, RF2 is not an easy game to run in VR and it can take a lot of time to get it working properly.
    Even on a super high end PC Desktop with a 4090. On most systems you want to forget about any eye candy settings like post effects and aim for high resolution and a stable framerate.

Theres a 138 page thread on these forums somewhere and I suggest you start there,
    If you have any more questions just ask in that thread.

Eventually you will want to switch to OpenXR instead of SteamVR but it sounds like you might want to get some of the basics out of the way first…

Im on a 3080 desktop with a 5800x3d and 32gb of ram and Im running almost everything on LOW preset but with a high resolution and at a stable 90 fps with about 25% headroom.

The game looks really good that way and I can run pretty much any track/car combo up to like 40 cars.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2023
    2ndLastJedi and Joe695 like this.
  5. Joe695

Joe695 Registered

Ok, thanks, I will do that! I'm slowly getting to grips with it.
    You are right, the VR in rf2 is very complicated.
    I'll test my racing sims with VR first.
    Live for speed is easy.
    Assetto Corsa is easy too.
    We will see which sim will be my favourite.

Thanks again and best regards Jörg

6. The_Bad_Fasterd

Assetto Corsa is a great sim but if you want to get the most out of it in VR you will want to run content manager and install some mods.

I would definitly recommend looking into Automobilista 2 out of all the current sims.
    It runs great in VR and is very easy to set up.
    Its also a bit more serious as a simulator and offers a lot of content.

In the end there is no substitute for rFactor 2 though. Its imo the most realistic and most rewarding sim out of them all, but it takes a bit of experience to set it all up and get used to.

have fun!

Joe695 likes this.
  7. Joe695

Joe695 Registered

Thanks it works 1000 times better. I sit in my car :). The graphics could be better. I try to find a better setting.

8. The_Bad_Fasterd

If you dont have it yet, I recommend getting fpsVR from Steam. You can monitor your fps and based on that you can start fine tuning your grapical settings…

You should start by going to steam, look up rFactor2 in your library and right click on play.
    A window will pop up where u can select “launch options”.
    From there first select “Launch rFactor2 Graphics configurations”.

I suggest setting Anti Aliasing to MSAA 4X.
    Post effects to None
    And resolution will depend on your headset I think.

Then open the normal game and in your Graphical Settings set everything to LOW except for “Texture filter” X16 Anisotropic.
    And texture detail FULL.
    See how the game runs now when youre on track.

Some tracks are more demanding than others so try a few different ones.
    The amount of cars will also influence the performance and sometimes even the type of car.
    Because of that I run everything with plenty if headspace so I always get my desired fps…

Im not sure what resolution you are running, but you can change that in SteamVR settings.
    If you think youre game isnt running smooth you can lower the resolution.

I dont know the specs on the Pico but I think this could be a good starting point…

Joe695 likes this.
  9. Joe695

Joe695 Registered

Thanks for the tips.
    I'm still testing general things, at the moment the connection options of the Pico4 with RF2. I'm documenting everything, because if I get the urge for MSFS2020 again, then I'll forget everything that was important for rF2 :)

Pairing the Pico 4:
    1. Virtual-Desktop works visually quite well, but has a blackouts for seconds every 1-2 laps on the NR sprint track. You inevitably end up in the gravel or on a wall.
    (However, the last time I tried it, I didn't have any dropouts. Maybe something is interfering with the connection).
    VR desktop and accessing rF2 directly without Steam only works to a limited extent. You drive in front of a virtual cinema screen, so you're not sitting in the car.
    2. OpenVR does not work at all. According to the description, you should see the VR-Games in the toolkit window after installation. There is nothing there for me.
    3. streaming assistant coupling + calling up rF2 directly without Steam only works to a limited extent. You drive in front of a virtual cinema screen, so you are not sitting in the car.
    Start Streaming Assistant via Steam, right-click, on RF2 or start with Steam VR. This works, but looks blurry -> comparison test with Virtual Dektop: VR desktop is sharper, so the visual quality is better.

10. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Following

11. Joe695

Joe695 Registered

You read and see a lot that you can only play with Virtual Desktop with a WIFI connection. But there is also possible an USB connection. The apk "Hotspot and Tethering Shortcut" also works with VD. I downloaded it into the PC, connected the PICO with USB to the PC and then moved the apk to the Download folder in the Pico 4. From there it can be installed into the PICO.
    Set up USB tethering, start the virtual desktop - thats it.
    It's not optimal, but it's better than Streaming Assistant (so far).
    Tethering APK: https://m.apkpure.com/de/hotspot-and-tethering-shortcut/com.pw.hotspotshortcut
    USB-C Link Cable : https://amzn.to/3DwMKwI
    USB-A to USB-C Link Cable 5m: https://amzn.to/3SC6Vxu
    USB-A to USB-C Link Cable 6m: https://amzn.to/3XTXxct
    Youtube videos are available at BeeDee and mo fun VR, in German.
    Unfortunately, I have also read that the PICO 4 is not so optimal for fast games, like sim racing. The data transfer rate is said to be not so good.
    If you want to use the PICO with Virtual Desktop ind WIFI connection, it should also help to connect the PC with LAN. Otherwise, the PC and VR glasses have to share the data transfer speed. I have not tested this yet. But I'm afraid it won't make much difference, since the PICO doesn't have a high data rate anyway, up to 150 Mbps.
    Please correct me if you know something different.

Unfortunately I have not been able to get OpenComposite or Open XR to work.
    Maybe someday . . .

12. Delzimar

Delzimar Registered

This app solved all my problems with VR in RFactor https://sim-site.netlify.app/

13. The_Bad_Fasterd

Did you install the OpenComposit Runtime switcher and set it to "Switch to OpenComposite"?

14. Joe695

Joe695 Registered

Thanks guys, at the moment RF2 runs ok with the "Spacedesk Driver Console" on USB and SteamVR. The picture is clearer than with all the other attempts I had tried before.
    Maybe I'm too stupid, or its Steam, or my notebook, but with the sim-site app, when I tested it, I first set the graphics too bad, then the app didn't open anymore.
    Unfortunately, Open Composite doesn't work either. I changed the switcher and configured steam for Open Composite.
    Unfortunately, I always get error messages. "Failed to write applist json. Permission denied".
    There are also fewer files in my Open Composite folder than in the YouTube video.
    I'll leave everything as it is. I'm still on sick leave, but I have to go back to work in a few days. I won't have too much time to test basic graphic settings. I should have tested car-settings :-/

But thanks again to all of you for your help.

Many greetings Jörg

15. jcarrest

jcarrest Registered

Hi, I don't know how far you've come with this issue.
    This week I bought the Pico 4.
    I also renewed the PC:
    i7 12700 and gtx4090.
    Rfactor full graphics.
    At the moment "Straeming Assistant" at the top and 90 frequency.
    For wifi, even with a good router, it does not work smoothly. And that the cpu does not exceed 35% and the gpu 70%.
    By usb cable it works very smooth, but it is true, that we depend on the battery.
    Yesterday I started a 38 lap race at silverstone with 73% and finished with 19%. (70min)
    The battery will degrade over time.
    So I think the goal is to find the best cable, so that it consumes a little less.
    Those who preach that they charge while you play are a scam.
    What I don't understand or don't know:
    If USB 3.2, which can reach 20 Gbps, why can't it be used to load and play? It is a thing that should be answered, surely, by the makers of Pico 4

16. Are they? I do not have any problems driving rF2 with Pico 4 over USB "charger" cable and it is not holding its level, but it is not running out of battery that fast or at least it is holding its level more or less.

Also I keep in mind that Pico 4 is seen as a standalone VR headset in the first step.

17. jcarrest

jcarrest Registered

the idea is to avoid wifi connection to avoid delay and with pico 4 set to ultra

18. zylkaarek

zylkaarek Registered

Hi,
    I'm having trouble activating opencomposite with pico 4.

I'm getting an error...

OpenXR Call failed, aborting. C:\projects\openovr\DrvOpenXR\DrvOpenXR.cpp:212 CreateOpenXRBackend. Error code: -2
    xrCreateInstance(&createInfo, &xr_instance)

Can you help with the settings???

Thank you Arek