Transparent Names/Numbers on Touring Cars- GIMP

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by AMillward, Feb 21, 2018.

1. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Hi all,

Been skinning some V8 Supercars and like many I run into the semi-transparent names and numbers on the windows. There are fixes for Photoshop detailed in guides online but is there a way to fix this within GIMP (besides going and manually removing the layer mask, which is the only way I've found of working around this). Screenshot below of where I'm at prior to adding layer mask as I'm assuming there's another step involved. It seems weird as the Foxtel, V8 Supercars logos and the headlight covers all stay opaque after applying the layer mask.

halp.jpg

Second picture, after applying mask. Note opaque headlights/sponsors and V8 Supercar graphics on rear side windows

halp2.png

Have I missed something? Like apply an opaque layer mask to the text before adding the mask?

Thanks,

2. Bernd

Bernd Registered

I would say that the secret is to find in the Alpha channel.

If you save in dxt5 and your Material uses alpha and inv alpha transparency, you have to paint the alpha channel in one of the 50 shades of gray (cheap joke, i know), to get parts of the texture more or less transparent.
    White is not transparent and black is invisible.

3. AMillward

AMillward Registered

It's okay guys, I've fixed it. I'll leave the steps below for anyone else who's struggling:

1. Flatten Image
    2. Use fuzzy select to select all the letters and numbers you want to make opaque
    3. Go to 'layers' and select 'alpha 1'
    4. Select paintbrush and white colour and paint over everything (doesn't matter if they're different colours, they'll show correctly)
    5. De-select Alpha 1
    6. Right click on flattened image, select 'add layer mask'
    7. Select 'channel' and 'alpha 1'
    8. Success! Names and numbers will show opaque!
    Just gotta match it all up!