Transfagarasan Asphalt Hill Climb

Discussion in 'Locations' started by myself9, Oct 20, 2014.

1. myself9

myself9 Registered

I thought it would be good to start a new thread for this since the first post in Galaga's thread cannot be edited, and therefore the new download link would be buried pages deep.

I contacted Galaga and he granted me permission to release a version I've been working on which includes timing in practice mode and a little bit of shadow work.

Updated to .57 May 16 2015
    Graphic updates.
    Fixed some things, broke some things :)

Mediafire has been giving me a bunch of hell lately, so the file is available at RaceDepartment.
    Download link HERE

Original Galaga Thread
    Transfagarasan North
    I am pleased to announce the beginning of a major project to bring a very special 23,6 km track to rFactor 2.

Transfagarasan has contributed greatly to re-igniting my passion for sim racing and I am privileged to have the opportunity to bring such a work of art to rFactor 2.

From Goibaka's track description on rfactorcentral.com:

The Transfagarasan (trans (over, across) + Fagaras) or DN7C is the most dramatic and second-highest paved road in Romania. Built as a strategic military route, the 24/90 km of twists and turns run north to south across the tallest sections of the Southern Carpathians.

My goal is to give this conversion the care and attention to detail that it deserves so this is just the beginning.

I am releasing v0.51 of this track as a pre-alpha for community testing, feedback and assistance. Make no mistake, there is MUCH still to do. Having said that, the track is very driveable as-is so enjoy My favorite cars so far are the T280 and the '65 Howston G6 but the Civic and Spark F1 are also very fun and I can't wait to test the SLS safety car and the Regional Skippy. And looking foward to the Cobra, of course

One last thing, the track comes in 12, yes 12, configurations representing every combination of top half, bottom half, full track, uphill, downhill, tarmac and gravel. This configuration is the full tarmac downhill layout. Others will follow once this one is fully complete.

A big THANK YOU to Goibaka and MVTRACKS.com for this amazing work of art and permission to bring it to the rF2 community

Thanks also to Spaskis, A13 and others who have helped me get this far. Without you, I would never attempt such a feat.

Finally, thank you A13 for releasing the amazing Route 666 which reminded me of my love for rally tracks and DJC for recommending Crimson Road as a good rally-type track to bring to rFactor 2 because it is that track that inspired me to research other tracks that I may have missed which led me to discover Transfagarasan. Thanks DJC

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
    chisco85 likes this.
  2. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

This piece of road has me in its grasp...
    I'm enchanted, completely amazed at how challenging and awesome this place is.
    People thinking the Nordschleife is the ultimate challenge should try this on for size.

Wonderful work on this, btw. Good looking shadows keeps immersion way high.
    I get a lot of pop-up stuff pretty much everywhere, spectators, plants and trees and stuff.
    I can be more specific if you need me to.

I swear I was like in a trance just before, trying to clear the climb as fast as possible.
    Eyes on the road, then a quick flash at the mini map, then at the road. Wow!
    I was like on another planet when I reached the final sector, going up into the mountains.

I really hope development will go with this track. I truly deserves it.
    Let me know if I can help in any way, with regards to testing.

3. myself9

myself9 Registered

Great, glad to know it's working for at least one person!

I personally wasn't planning on getting too involved in moving the course forward in development. I reeeeally just wanted to get the timing working. Then, I wanted to get the shadows working......You know how it goes....

The pop-up stuff and the flickering of a couple of the bridges/billboards are bothering me, so I'll probably at least take care of those.

I'd love to replace some of the textures. I poked around a bit so see how everything was put together, and that may be way over my head. We'll see where things lead.

You already are! Thanks! :)

4. delapecs

delapecs Registered

Wow !! Thank you, is later here but i will try it "only a little" ;)
    Is there any possibility to include down climb too?

Thanks !!

5. myself9

myself9 Registered

I think that might actually be doable, delapecs.
    Let me get the pop ups sorted out first, then I'll try my luck at a downhill version.

6. myself9

myself9 Registered

7. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Shadows look awesome! Thanks for helping to make this track so much more immersive.

8. myself9

myself9 Registered

Woooo, glad it works for you!!!
    This is encouraging :)

9. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Man, if you manage to fix the popup I'm going to be in hill climbing heaven that's for sure. :)

Really cool that you're willing to have a look at the downhill version too. You're really doing this track justice. Thanks for your efforts. :)

10. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

Many thanks

11. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

12. myself9

myself9 Registered

Yikes, hate those guys!

Steve, are your graphics set to medium?
    If so, are the trees also striped?

Does anyone know what causes the people to appear in striped pajamas?

13. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

To solve this kind of issue, you need to encode your DDS DXT texutres with at least mipmap 6 (I make them with mipmap ALL)

14. myself9

myself9 Registered

Thanks, MaD_King.
    That's kind of what I figured.

15. myself9

myself9 Registered

...I think I figured out how to easily make the downhill version :p

16. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

LOL! :D

I did one of those yesterday when nearing the finish line.
    A bit too confident coming into what I thought was supposed to be a 4th gear corner. It was obviously a 3rd gear corner.
    At least I got to see all the pretty scenery coming down again lol. ;)

I say we start up the Romanian Car Olympics rF2 Edition.
    Points go to those with the most acrobatics and the longest air time.

17. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

BTW I noticed some pretty funky shadows appearing underneath some of the bridges towards the end of the stage.
    It's as if the shadows pierce through what should be solid materials (see picture below).

Is reflections working on this track? I seem to get none when using the 370z.

[​IMG]

18. myself9

myself9 Registered

Yes, and it's REALLY bad in morning light as you're headed up the section before the end of the second split.
    The rock walls opposite the sunlight side are lit up like it's noon, and they don't cast shadows on the road. The shadows begin at the bottom of the tree walls. Immersion KILLER!

I'll check out the bridges when I fix the pop-ins. Those are probably an easy fix.

Reflections -- I have no idea and don't even know where to look. I'll poke around a bit...

Thanks again for the input!

It will be some time before I release another update. I don't want to repeat what I did with Pikes Peak and release a new version every 5 minutes just because I fixed one thing ;) Too confusing for everyone.

19. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Sure man, that's a really good plan.

And thank you for getting so involved in this project. It's so great. :)

I'll keep making observations regarding the track. Post a couple of screens here and there and then you can assess whether it's something you can/want to fix. :)

20. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

Hi myself9, thanks for this update of this great Galaga track, I like the new shadows! :)

One small think I noticed: On practice you need to wait on the garage screen until the session start or you have a warning saying you exited without waiting the green light and have to return to Pit. So I stay here using CTRL-X to speedup time before jumping in the car by using the Race button.