Traction Control mapping?

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by MileSeven, Feb 14, 2022.

1. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

Making progress! Thanks for the help so far.

I’m now happy and able to modify an existing vehicle and install it to coexist along side the original - replace an tweak the engine, gearing, boost/fuel map, add DRS, convert to 4WD and make the torque-split adjustable etc. etc….

…but cannot find any reference or examples of how to go about adding/configuring traction-control or ABS mapping… Is this purely the preserve of encrypted official content - or can someone point me towards accessible examples?

The lack of a ‘data dictionary’ is challenging….!

2. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

https://docs.studio-397.com/develop.../car-physics/using-the-new-tc-and-abs-options

MileSeven and Lazza like this.
  3. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

Brilliant - thanks - I'll keep an eye on the DG from now on.

4. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

I’ve spent some frustrating time fiddling around with the TC settings today…
    Code:
    TractionControlGrip=(1.4, 0.2)                 // average driven wheel grip multiplied by 1st number, then added to 2nd
    TractionControlMapRange=(0.0,0.2,6) 

There seems to be a limit on the TCMapRange of 1.5 as far as I can tell - set it (dial it up) to 1.6 and the TC reaches a cliff edge and goes into some kind of default mode that does not vary with any higher value. Does anyone know if this is a hard limit or whether it is dependent on some other value?

The TCGrip figures also seem to be lower-values = bigger throttle-cut so TractionControlGrip=(0.3,0.2) really bogs the engine down…

…so do the numbers represent something concrete such as a maximum slip rate (I.e. permissible wheel spin) or am I barking up the wrong tree? Some of the HDV comments/explanations are very cryptic indeed!

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Traction control reduces power when the powered wheels start spinning. The TractionControlGrip parameter lets you define how 'grip' is calculated. By using lower values, you're ending up with 'less grip', so the TC will kick in more.

You will make it easier to understand if you try some examples, as can often be the case with the HDV comments. Or you just work out which way they'd work that would fit all the comments. Kind of fun if you're into problem solving...

Let's take your TractionControlGrip=(0.3,0.2). If your driven wheels average 0.8 grip, that gets multiplied by 0.3, which gives 0.24, and then 0.2 is added, so grip = 0.44. Perhaps you can see why the TC kicks in so hard. Even if the wheels average 1.0 grip (if I'm not recalling poorly, that's no sliding at all) the result is 0.5. So even at full grip TC will want to activate, because its 'grip' is halved.

A good driver will be producing some slip most of the time, so you don't want TC to start until you've lost a fair amount of grip. That's why the example up there multiplies by 1.4. So if your wheels average 0.8 grip, that gives 1.12, + 0.2, 1.32 - full grip, no TC needed (basically). If your wheels average 0.6 grip, you get 0.6 x 0.8 + 0.2 = 0.68.

The TractionControlMapRange parameter then determines how much the grip loss ('final grip' below 1.0) affects the throttle. So that final example above, the result of the grip is 0.68 - that's 0.32 slip. If the TCMap is currently 1.0, the throttle gets reduced by 32%. If the current map is 0.5, the reduction is 16%.

I'd suggest setting up a spreadsheet with input and output and having a play with different combinations. You can also use telemetry to measure the grip loss at specific times and help tune it that way.

Note I haven't played much with the TCMapRange myself, but based on the old params that's how I'd interpret it.

MileSeven likes this.
  6. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

Riiight! That's starting to make sense! Thanks.

The HDV comments are fine up to a point! I can obviously calculate 'avg grip x 1st number + 2nd' - but it was guesswork what that number represented next...:)

7. [RFr] gerald

[RFr] gerald Registered

TractionControlGrip=(1.4, 0.0) // average driven wheel grip multiplied by 1st number, then added to 2nd
    TractionControlMapRange=(0.0,0.1,12) // start, step, number of steps
    TractionControlMapSetting=3 // default value
    TractionControlMapSpecial=(0,"0"," (Off)",0.0) // an example of special mappings (range 0.0 to 1.0 for the amount of TC)
    TractionControlMapSpecial=(1,"1",,0.1)
    TractionControlMapSpecial=(2,"2",,0.2)
    TractionControlMapSpecial=(3,"3"," (Rubbered)",0.3)
    TractionControlMapSpecial=(4,"4",,0.4)
    TractionControlMapSpecial=(5,"5",,0.5)
    TractionControlMapSpecial=(6,"6",,0.6)
    TractionControlMapSpecial=(7,"7"," (Green Dry)",0.7)
    TractionControlMapSpecial=(8,"8",,0.8)
    TractionControlMapSpecial=(9,"9",,0.9)
    TractionControlMapSpecial=(10,"10",,0.95)
    TractionControlMapSpecial=(11,"11"," (Full Wet)",1.0)