Trackside Camera to include offtrack Vehicles

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by Forza_GaRy, Apr 3, 2023.

1. Forza_GaRy

Forza_GaRy Registered

First of all, I think we can all agree that the new camera system looks fantastic. Well done! The way the TV camera moves from vehicle to vehicle, and the motion blur and focus depth make it a joy to watch broadcasts.

I have however noticed, that often it is not so easy for broadcasters to notice accidents, spins, offtracks when they happen in the background, perhaps 5 car lengths behind the current focus vehicle. Often times, the car(s) with the accident are only visible for half a second before they exit the camera frame. In real race broadcasts, I have often seen cameramen reacting to such accidents by reducing the zoom level and capturing the focus car on the one side of the view, while also including the cars offtrack. Sometimes this is accompanied by the depth blur of quick changes in zoom/depth of this shot.

With the broadcast tool being able to detect accidents, offtracks, etc, it may be possible for the tv-camera to capture this moment automatically as outlined above. It will require some additional code and tweaking of course to only consider cars, outside of the focus, but still in the sector of the camera or just before entering that sector, so that it won't pick up a car offtrack on the other end of the Nordschleife. It may even open the window to have a mapped button to change focus immediately to the offtrack vehicle, once this situation is detected, after it notifies the broadcaster. This could for example be done visually or through an audio cue in the broadcast overlay. If this option is activated, the focus would change to the car offtrack and the view would temporarily be more zoomed out to give a better overview of the situation, until that car rejoins the track.

Thanks for reading this far, and for the continuous improvements to the broadcasting experience. I hope I got my point out. If you need an example, any official Formula 1 highlight video on youtube has accidents which often feature this sort of camera movement.

Emery likes this.