Tracks in RF2, possible a "users choice"?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Niksounds, Nov 6, 2011.

1. maatriks

maatriks Registered

On the topic of tracks: I hope that ISI will put it's efforts on making new tracks instead of mods, because I would hate if rF2 would suffer the same problem as rF1, great mods but lack of good tracks. There are good tracks, of course, but they are minority.

2. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

If you give me Toban and the old ZRz in this beta, I'll gladly have your babies!

3. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I think you'll always have that problem to some degree. Tracks are a lot more time consuming than cars. And a track can be changed (feel different) depending upon which car you're driving on it.

4. maatriks

maatriks Registered

Yes, we will most probably always have this problem, which is why I made that request in the first place. There will be good car mods by modding groups but only a few tracks. If we want to make full-blown league with 15-18 different events then it is hard to choose good tracks, even today, even in rFactor 1.

5. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

We have literaly hundreds of tracks for rF 1 but majority of them is of very questionable quality. Some are not bad but instead of having one or two good versions, we have 5 or 6 and all of them always missing something (like Spa :( ).

I would also like to see less tracks but of a much better quality in rF 2.

6. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

There maybe needs to be a more consistent voting system about quality of mods.

7. SeKa

SeKa Registered

There maybe needs to be more company by ISI which to set basic conditions, that creates a evaluation mechanism for quality Tim!?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2011
  8. maatriks

maatriks Registered

I do not think we need ISI-created system for voting mods. rfactorcentral.com has almost all the mods in it's database and has very good rating system, I am sure this will carry on to rFactor 2.

There are much more urgent things to do, in my opinion.

9. MarcG

MarcG Registered

the trouble is anyone and everyone can make a track, making a good one is different, even voting systems can be rigged (HOF at RFC anyone!?), same as with the FPS Levels that people dish out, theres tons of absolute rubbish but there are some hidden gems that are of high quality.

10. Marek Lesniak

Maybe... but i think it's more about awareness. I saw too many times people got overexcited just by the fact that a particular car or track was released. It should not be like that, because this way we ended up having lots of overall low quality conversions with rubbish physics. You know, for many it only matters the fact that they have particular car, nothing more. The same is with tracks (not all of course, but many). If only people could care more about quality than quantity...

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

It's a difficult subject to approach though.

Somebody, or a group of people, spend hundreds of hours making a track.. and you check it out against videos and say "sorry guys, the camber is wrong here, that kerb doesn't really exist, and this whole chicane is out of place by a good 5 metres - here's my proof."

In a dreamland the track maker says "hey, thanks for that, I'll go tweak that bit right now, if you find anything else let me know... the closer we get it the better."

More likely he says, "well heck, I just spent weeks of my spare time working on this for nothing, what's the point if all I get is criticism? Go make your own."

12. Marek Lesniak

I know what you mean, but there is a line below which we all agree that particular mod or track could be done better. And there are too many with quality below that line. I mean, what's the point of releasing something when it doesn't have much in common with what it supposed to be?

13. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

The argument 'you may only criticize if you can do better' is fundamentally flawed as the ability to appreciate a product is not linked to the ability to create one. Ultimately if a creator is making content for a community, you're right, he's not beholden to that community but the community is also not obligated to use his work or even be nice about it. I've frequently been put off using tracks because of fundamental issues that destroy the immersion, Adelaide and Monaco being particular bugbears in this respect.

I have, on occasion, just made a track for the hell of it...

View attachment 289