TrackIR head movement erratic

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Redglyph, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Redglyph

Redglyph Registered

Hello,

(Not sure whether I should post that here or directly send an email)

I noticed there were a few problems with how the TrackIR is handled by rFactor 2 (build 998):

1) the roll axis is inverted, work-around is to create a specific TrackIR configuration and invert this axis

2) the roll, yaw and pitch axes (and I think X, Y, Z) are downscaled for some reason - maybe a conversion issue between degrees and radians? Work-around is to amplify the values in the TrackIR config and iterate until they seem correct. Very awkward.

3) yaw is very limited, even in open cars, work-around is to modify the following value in UserData\player\player.JSON: "Glance Angle":1.6. This is enough to widen the angle, but it seems to be capped elsewhere. Satisfactory enough though, at least it's possible to see incoming cars from a Brabham leaving the pits or recovering, since the mirrors were a bit ineffective on this car :)

4) the head position movement is completely wrong:
    - when looking forward and moving the head forward, it somewhat moves a bit forward in the game
    - when looking slightly sideways (yaw of a few degrees) and moving the head forward, it moves sideways in the game
    - when looking on the right and moving the head forward, it moves backwards in the game
    This is really not intuitive and quite breaks the benefit of having TrackIR (or I guess, any virtual headset like Occulus Rift). I suppose it's an easy fix, the last problem really looks like there was a mix-up in the coordinate transforms.

5) Head movement is not smooth.

For an example of how it should feel, pCARS or Assetto Corsa are good references (although the former also limits the yaw too much).