TrackIR (5) working fine with rFactor 2?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spinelli, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Guys, there is a guy selling a TrackIR 5 on ebay but he said there isn't any head-tracking, and that I would need to buy "raw material" from the Natural Point website (looks like reflective tape) in order to get the head-tracking to work. He also said that the TrackIR does come with the hat clip...

How does that make any sense? If it comes with the hat clip then why is he saying the head-tracking doesn't work and that I would need to purchase the "raw material"?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2014
  2. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

That doesn't make sense. Maybe he is selling a faulty unit.

3. crz

crz Registered

Probably but you would need to replicate the layout of the hat clip. The dot in the middle needs to be offset on the y and z axis so TrackIR can recognize movement in 3d space. If it gives you the same freedom of movement depends on how well you replicate the hat clip layout.

From my experience the reflection method doesn't work well. It's too sensitive about lighting. The camera will lose track of you too often like Tim said. This breaks not just immersion but also you sim car :)

What he said, I would ignore this offer. Doesn't sound right.

4. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Got it. In order to achieve all 6 degrees of motion, there is a very specific distance and placement of the 3 sensors that is why you need the very specific hat-clip or track clip pro. I didn't understand this before but it all makes sense (I think, lol).

Aside from the potential over-sensitivities of the regular track-clip (hat) reflectors, is it possible with the TrackIR 5 to just use a single sticker on my 3D glasses. I believe I'll only be limited to two degrees of motion - pitch (look up/down) and yaw (look left/right). In case I want to use all 6 axis', I'll still have the regular track clip and probably the track clip pro as well. Is this possible?...

[HR][/HR]
    Regarding the Ebay listing, it says “Does not have any infra-red reflecting stickers” and then says "Tested and working - however, the sensor cannot detect movement without the infra-red reflecting stickers."
    Also, is the track-clip bent, or is that just an illusion due to it's shape?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2014
  5. Rik

Rik Registered

Yes you need a infra-Red stickers. I've tried with 3m reflective stickers but not work.
    I've not find a infra-Red stickers but i've found a infra-Red led @ 0,80 cent. i'll buy 3 of those items. pro-clip is very expensive for simply led.

6. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Have you tired the official stickers? -- > http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/02-products/product-accessories.html Near the bottom "Dots :: $ 6" and "Raw material :: $ 3".

7. Rik

Rik Registered

No, shipping cost is 50$.
    I will try with infra-Red Led,
    Thanks anyway

8. crz

crz Registered

Hmmm not sure if you can use just one sticker. The software might be expecting 3 dots it can track. I can test this tonight when I'm at home.

The clip looks strange but it could be the view angle in the picture. This is how it should be:

[​IMG]

9. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

If it has a hard time tracking 3, it's going to struggle with 1, even if it's supposed to be able to.

10. crz

crz Registered

Just tested it, it only works with 3 tracking points. Go with the pro clip as mentioned earlier :)

11. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Oh man, I'm so disapointed. Having the option to just use 1 or 2 sticker dots, and then being limited to just yaw and pitch, or yaw, pitch and roll, would have been so awesome. This would be perfect as yaw, pitch, and roll is all I would need for simracing since one can hardly move their heads up/down (y-axis) or left/right (x-axis), let alone zoom-in on things (z-axis) when sitting and strapped into a car so tight.

Oh well, I guess I'll just deal with the Trackclip PRO and Vector Clip. There is no way I'm not going to get this :)

12. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

The program is coded for tracking three dots. I use the hat clip (4 or 5 years,maybe longer) and no problems. You of course don't want a bright window behind you.

13. Comante

Comante Registered

Windows or oddly angled glass or mirrors can make your TrackIR malfunction, if he catches reflections from them.

14. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

I was thinking about to buy TrackIR. But I wear glasses. Would this be a problem?

15. crz

crz Registered

No, glasses are no problem.

16. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Not with the track clip pro, works perfect here with that. I *DID* have issues with the normal hat clip, I *ASSUME* it was due to reflections from my glasses.

17. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Ah, ok. Thanks for this very important informations. Than i have to go with the PRO version.

18. crz

crz Registered

With the hat clip I even had issues with reflections from my wall on a sunny day. I wasn't able to find a camera setting that just worked, there was always something disturbing the tracking. Since I bought the pro clip I have zero issues.

19. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Good to know, because my rig is partially located under a glass roof ;-)

20. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

TrackIR 5 no Track Clip OR TrackClip PRO needed, just a single "dot" sticker!

Awesome guys, look what I just found out!

Many people probably don't care as they are happy with using their regular track clip (hat) or trackclip pro (headset) but I think this is awesome news for some...

https://forums.naturalpoint.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=12921

So now, the question remains, what are the negatives to using the latest version of the 4.x software as opposed to 5.x?