Track update

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by chuckyeager, Nov 11, 2014.

1. chuckyeager

chuckyeager Registered

Since updating to rfactor 880 with the dev package i'm having strange behavior when i try to update a track with new cam.
    The mas files of the old version are deleted and only the one i modified and package into an rfcomp are in the folder of the track.
    Which of course is broken. Where did it throw the assets ?
    I know there has been a change in this domain in order to allow replay working with old version of a track.
    Thanks for your answers!

2. chuckyeager

chuckyeager Registered

Well , a strange one. It works if i backup the 1st version content and restore after update, maybe something messed up because i installed 880 over the preceding one.

i have 0.93j as version number for mod manager
    and 2.92g for the mas file utility or the other way around...

3. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

I'm little bit confused... Are you making totally new component with new assets or are you trying to make small update to existing component?

Generally speaking, you cannot update track layout specific files, like cam-, scn- , gdb- etc. files. If you make a new cam file, you need to make totally new and full component as well.

However you can make update component which includes new textures or gmt's, IF they are not layout specific files. To be honest, I haven't played around with (small) update components for a long time. It is just as fast to make full component and I found it rather confusing to end users to utilize updates. Basically only thing you benefit with update comps is smaller download size...

With full components everything will stays in control and avoid confusion to end users, imo...

Cheers!

4. Hazi

Hazi Registered

5. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Absolutely my opinion!
    Updates for tracks are no good idea and causes confusion.
    Was never a fan of this.

6. chuckyeager

chuckyeager Registered

Ok thanks, i forgot this.
    Yes just a small update for track layout cam mills outer loop B.
    It's quicker to create an update i think and this work around (backup the version A content before update and paste after update works well.

Thanks to hazi also, it answer my question !