Track Mesh Centre Line

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by steveluppino, Aug 30, 2015.

1. steveluppino

steveluppino Registered

Hi,

I am trying to add a centre line to a track in 3DSMAX and not having much luck. I am not that good with 3dsmax and track building and was wondering if anyone could offer some simple advice. I tried looking in the videos but couldn't find the right one. Here is an image of the track.

View attachment 17768

I need to add a centre line on the track. I know there must be a simple method but I cant find it. Can someone help please?

2. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

Select all vertices and weld at 0.001 (select the weld settings next to the weld button and put 0.001)
    then select edge mode. Select a few edges that cross the track. press ring and if everything is welded properly you have all the cross edges selected. If not you will have to select them manually or try the opposite. Select few edges that run around the track do a loop so all edges around the outside edge are selected then invert selection.

Then select the connect settings and put five. That should put five lines running around the track with one in the middle. You will want at least 5 so realroad works well.

3. steveluppino

steveluppino Registered

Thanks, not getting far. Any other methods?

4. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

This is the easiest and fastest way I can come up with

Make sure the object is one piece. If its a track with many pieces then join them all as one and weld the verts at 0.001 (you will also want the track as one when you map the realraod, then split the track back up after)

Then select boarder (the bean looking shape button) in the selection area on the right.
    Select the 2 outside borders of your track. click one side then ctrl left click to get second side. You should see the whole track outlined with 2 lines the inside and outside
    Now change from border to edge (in the selection area on the right, the button on the left of the border button)
    Now up the top of max you have a tab "edit" and inside you will find select invert. Click select invert you should now have all the edges going across the track selected. If not select the rest using ctrl left click
    Now press the settings button next to connect on the right side control panel and change the number to 1 if you just want center line or an odd number equal or greater than 5 to split the track ready for realroad and still have a center line.

Hope that helps

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2015
  5. steveluppino

steveluppino Registered

Many Thanks, got it to work.