Too much smoke

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Nibo, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Nibo

Nibo Registered

We started testing rF2 regularly in our league. One thing that many of us noticed and complaining is how much there is tire smoke generated. On every breaking and some times even just on upshift there huge amount of not very transparent smoke. Its getting really hard to drive online with this constant smoke-screen. There is no such problem in rF1. Please ISI make tire-smoke more realistic and also turn it down. Thank you.

2. dv8r

dv8r Registered

I do agree with your point, there is often way too much smoke on track, however one thing that is common on online racing is a disregard for tyre locking. Not saying your not paying attention to it, but the 'oh well, ill just go back to pits and get new tyres' factor is going to be a problem. Until there are limited numbers of sets for a race weekend, this will likely continue.

3. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I think tire smoke is uniform at the moment in that any locking of the wheels and tires touching tarmac creates the same amount of tire smoke. In reality different tire compounds react with different tarmacs/asphalts in different ways so you should get different levels of smoke all around a track with varying tarmacs/asphalts.
    Also with the Clios as an example, when the back corners lift up and the tire just kisses the road you get the same level of smoke as a full lock up which is nothing like in real life, hopefully this is just something that will be addressed in the future by ISI.
    All they could do for now is a quick fix is to make the smoke more transparent in gerenral.

4. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Quite often smoke starts to come gradually as tire heats.

Smoke also does not come uniformly to all directions, starts more of like trail of smoke with locked wheel that then slowly expands and covers larger area, getting thinner in process, but still can be wall of smoke few places behind one that locks wheel, at least my understanding.

For burnouts etc. smoke also travels with tire as tire creates kind of circle of air around itself, also when flatspotting and letting tire roll again smoke travels with tire and is emitted from fairly large area making it not so thick at that point.

If water sprays from tires etc. gets into sim, then that code might work for dust, smoke and water as same aerodynamics are affecting all of them, mostly strength of effect then varies because different weight of particles etc.

Would be nice if one sim gets those right or even close :p

5. REDRUM

REDRUM Registered

Being a beta I don't really complain too much about small issues like this but I do have to admit that the smoke REALLY annoys me.

6. JGraf

JGraf Registered

isn't tire smoke, dust, etc. linked to the special effects...
    reducing the "special effects" setting option will lessen the smoke density.

7. MarcG

MarcG Registered

yeah that'd work as a temporary fix of sorts.

8. Nibo

Nibo Registered

No, I set effects to "Low" and do not see reduction of smoke. I didn`t try to turn it "off" completely though.

9. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Yeah, that is just changing quality of smoke, maybe just adjusts resolution of smoke texture?

10. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Known issue. Thanks.