Tire wear issue

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Simonk, Apr 28, 2024.

1. Simonk

Simonk Registered

Hey guys. I’ve been using the bias ply 1974 slick tire for all of my historic cars as I feel it gives the best feedback and grip properties of all the tires I’ve tried. The problem is it creates a vibration through the steering wheel as it wears which gets worse to the point it’s undriveable with 80% tread still left. In my opinion, there is a problem with the tire as it doesn’t happen with any other tire I’ve tried. Has anyone got any ideas what the problem could be and how I could solve it? It’s not a flat spotting issue as I know I’m not locking up. I’ve tried to find another tire to replace it but everything I try is rubbish in comparison.

2. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I know how to solve it. And it is flat spotting issue.

3. Simonk

Simonk Registered

Care to elaborate? It’s not brakes locking up if that’s what you think? There is no audible tire sound, and no visual heat increase under brakes. I tried extreme values for the abrasion curve so the tread wear was 80% after 1 lap with very little brake application and it was undriveable, the vibration was that bad. I’ve tested other tires with the same car and same set up and multiple cars, both treaded and slick tires and no other tire has the issue that I’ve come across.

4. Robin Pansar

Robin Pansar Member

I think it can be connected to the physical wear on the tread. If the contact patch of the tyre model is poor and not distributed well enough, one area will get excessive wear and wear down the tread faster. Just a guess at this point, but you can make some connections to it in the data. Looking at the surface temperature, if a specific area (inner, middle, outer) is spiking a lot more than the other there's a chance that the contact patch distribution is bad. If you go deeper to the tyre rubber, you can notice an area getting more unstable temperatures - which, to me, indicates a tread that's worn down.

Then again, it could also be several other things, such as the construction stiffness. I've seen examples of vibrations being reduced, or completely fixed, by running with a softer belt and tread spring (mainly tread).

5. Simonk

Simonk Registered

Yes, I suspect it's an uneven wear issue also but unfortunately I don't have the skill and knowledge to figure out the problem. It's an old tyre so doesn't have belt and tread spring parameters. I'd encourage other historic car creators to check this tyre out as it has by far the best FFB detail out of any tyre I've tested. It can be found in Chris' @redapg rfactor 2 Online Tools http://meetme.bplaced.net/rF2_onlineTools/ ISI_G_27.0X11.0-15X9.5_SLICKS_1974.TGM and if anyone solves the vibration issue, maybe they could pass the solution on to Chris to update the tyre for the benefit of the modding community. I've been using this tyre as a slick and a treaded all weather tyre and am happy to share the realtime settings I'm using.