Tire temp FFB

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bravotangosix, Aug 2, 2017.

1. bravotangosix

bravotangosix Registered

Was watching the video below when Tiff mentioned how the steering got heavier as the tires came up to temp and became stickier. Thought this might be a great FFB indicator for sim racing but would the FFB get cluttered when combined with the RealRoad grip.

2. Magus

Magus Registered

This is definitely a feature in the FFB of some of the modern cars ISI did. I've not felt is with the USF, Radical, GT500 or McLaren.

Alex72 likes this.
  3. bravotangosix

bravotangosix Registered

I've never really felt it happen (or just didn't notice) with any cars tbh but i'll be looking out for it from now on. I'd always just assumed that it was the Real Road having its affect on the FFB.

Alex72 likes this.
  4. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

It is quite noticeable IMO. However, you should be looking for a greater peak value due to a higher turning speed. Telemetry (DAM plugin) can be objective in order to measure grip and FFB differences.

In the same way if you overheat and ruin your tires it will even feel duller. This is probably easier to perceive. Sometimes after a severe spin, trying to get back to race too fast ends in a spin festival and your wheel becomes completely loose.

bravotangosix likes this.
  5. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

Definitely feel it with some of the older official cars,but not with the newer ones really

6. Comante

Comante Registered

I think the reason is that harder compounds show this behaviour less prominently, and steering geometry play a role in how much you can feel in FFB: so definitely mod related.

bravotangosix likes this.
  7. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

Yes, I can feel that happening as with wear reducing the FFB.
    To me it makes perfect sense. The greater the grip, the greater the force on the steering rack and thus FFB.