Tire sounds in replay...

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by Kknorpp001, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

...and adjustable and/or uses same settings as audio settings UI and scrub/skid volume multipliers in plr file. Please! This would significantly enhance replays as tire sounds are critical to knowing what is going on with the car.

2. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

Totally agree! Driving looks way too easy as tire scrubbing is not heard.

3. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

you've got my vote too

4. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

rfactor has always had low fidelity replays.

5. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I hope this gets fixed for rf2 as well, especially for regular road cars and more regular street tyres.

They have to do it properly though, because other than road cars and road tyres, the only time you would hear tyre sounds is a lockup from brakes, maybe a spin, because most high performance tyres, and especially purpose built race tyres like slicks, don't "scream" and "complain" much at all (audibly speaking), on top of that the cars are usually very very loud.

They could make the race tyres squeal much much less and at a lower volume, and then this will barely be heard, depending on distance and on car exhaust volume levels, but the sound engine may be too basic for that, I could be wrong though.

6. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Doesn't matter, if road or racing tyre. They all scream if pushed too hard. Of course, that scream is slightly different in how it sounds with different tyres, but it can be very audible. Also, screaming slicks is something which can easily be heard even in cockpit of a GT class race car. From driver's perspective, it might be much more muffled because of a racing helmet.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2012
  7. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

No they dont, unless you are doing big lock ups. spinning, doing HUMONGOUS understeering.

Sometimes you hear are lower pitched almost rubbing or ruffling sound.

I have watched f1 in person, even at low speed canada gp hairpin where drivers are completely off throttle and at relatively low revs, (before the long back straight). I have watched alms at mosport, star mazda at mosport and infineon raceway, canadian tyre NASCAR series, many formula 1600 and 2000 races, speed channel GT and touring car series, CART, trans am series, and more.

The slicks barley make noise, unless massively pushed over the limit like brake lock up, a spin, crazy big understeer or something else extreme. You might hear some faint squirming and chirping here and there, most of that gets covered by the engines and exhaust though.

Don't believe me and want you're own proof?.....

Watch lmp audi or peugeot videos (audi seems more quiet and better for this, but both should work). You will see the car's tyres aren't screeching in pain out loud as they are doing their laps, unlike like road tyre does. Also the slicks have much more of a natural muffled tyre noise, a much lower pitched sort of squirming rubbing noise, and may just have the odd higher putched more familiar squeel or chirp here or there.

Again, unless of course they do a spin or lockup or something extreme.

Also on another note, slicks have a much more squealing sound when locked up, rather than the screeching sound road tyres do.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2012
  8. Marek Lesniak

But road tyres also doesn't make any noticable sounds until you lock them, spin etc. Push them too hard though and all of them will be audible (scream/squeal or how you name it). And no, I don't need any proof. I don't need it as I know what I am saying.

9. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Wrong again, certain road tyres make lots of screeching noise when pushing. Not talking about lock up, spinning, big understeer or anything like that, but just regular pushing close to the limit.

Ya I can really tell. That's the right approach and attitude to have when someone says something different to your beliefs/thoughts. Glad you are so down to earth and open minded.

10. Marek Lesniak

So now you say, there are "certain" tyres... so not all of them anymore? ;)
    When you hear that, the tyre is already over the limit. The reason, why so many people treat road tyres like that, is because road tyres are more forgiving and drop i performance is not that sudden like on slicks. So a driver can overpush such tyres beyond optimal slip angles and still they will be generating good grip levels... but that is already beyond optimal range.

Instead of presenting such attitude and sarcasm, why you just can't go and drive your real car and do some tests? You should notice, you will be understeering already, when your front tyres start to squeal.

11. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

There is something racers call "tread squirm" associated with street tires. Street tires make more noise. kthanksbye.

12. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I said from the beginning, read my first post, it says most HIGH PERFORMANCE TYRES and slicks don't make much noise. That leaves many tyres that still do.

I have driven a real car and tested/experienced this many times.

My friend has a early to mid 90s Acura legend, we have taken long fast sweeping corners (around 170 km/h) around the limit, and the tyres are screeching in pain and it is very bad sounding, and there is no understeer, TRUST ME. These are long fast corners, no understeer at all, almost no steering corrections or movements, very constant steering angle and holding line very, very well, no understeer. The tyre screeching is loud and annoying and can be heard from almost initial turn in, alllllllll the way throughout the corner, and ends usually a little more than half way past the exit phase.

I have driven other cars where the tyres don't screech unless pushed too much over optimal slip angle and getting understeer, like you said.

It's different, so many different tyre compounds, constructions, etc etc

I have also seen laps on tv AND real life where pro drivers are driving a street car and their is annoying screeching at just about every turn during the entire lap, and they aren't understeering on corner entry, mid corner and corner exit on every single turn on every single lap, like you would have imply.

So I'm not trying to have attitude, I was trying go explain something that I learned from seeing real life racing, from my own real life racing experience, from my own street car driving experience, and so on. While you just say something like, "I know I am right and that's it". At least I tried to educate and explain to you.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2012
  13. Marek Lesniak

OK, fair enough. But I also did some tests myself and with my friend (on various local proving grounds and competitions) and we were always going past optimal range at first, before tyres become audible (and they were not high performance tyres). So don't expect me to say "OK, you are right and I am wrong" as I have never experienced anything you were describing, even when I was testing similar tyres (typical mid-range, for saloons). And as for watching pros driving street cars... if you have any chance, talk with them about how it was at the track and wasn't there no understeer at all, really? ;)
    Cheers.

14. canastos

canastos Registered

This debate is great ;) but I think the point in the OP is about getting in replays the same sounds you wold get in game, wich would be a nice feature for rfactor2, as for sure I'm not the only one enjoying replays, am I :confused:

byyyyyyyyyye