tire diameter

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Rocksor, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Rocksor

Rocksor Registered

Hi,
    I've just moded the frame and Bodywork of a formula student car. Now I gave it simple tire and steering wheel meshes and a grey texture and tried to bring in in game.

Now I've got one Problem here. I took the basic physics from the rtrainer and started to adjust the most important things. But it doesn't look as ist should:

View attachment 3244

There are 2 Problems on that picture: the ride is much to high, should be about 5cm over the street, and my tires are too small.

I tried to lower the undertray elements, but all that happened is scratching on the road. Did get the ride heigt right with tweaking the bound/ rebound travel.

But there's still the problem with the hovercraft tires. Is there any other parameter than the tire diameter in the tbc, that is responsible for the height of the tires?

Thanks

2. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Tires in the TBC are for AIs, so if you see your tires growing up to the correct size after you press I, the problem should be in your TGMs. In rF2 tires are defined by QSA, nodes and realtime parameters in the TGM file...so I guess tires are small because you're using the rTrainer TGM.

Of course, before working on the car height you've to get the correct size for tires...:)

PS: if you want to use the rTrainer TGM as a placeholder you can change these values (multiplier for width and radius) in the TGM:

SizeMultiplier=(1.0,1.0) // if necessary, an adjustment to the geometrical width and radius; default is (1.0,1.0)

3. Rocksor

Rocksor Registered

Hi Tuttle,
    thank you very much. That was the problem. For first testings the multiplier should be enough.
    But just to get that right: Everything I can find in the tbc is just for A.I.? I think the slipcurves an some other physical items are still for the player physics.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong.

4. Tuttle

In Rfactor 2 the TBC is just for AIs except for starting tire temps (garage temp) and the Rim radius. Slipcurves are for AIs as well...:)

5. Tuttle

...from the ISI TGM guide;

6. Rocksor

Rocksor Registered

Thank you very much for your help.
    I just had a short look at the ttool and the tgm guide, so I still don't understand everything. This will take some more time.

but theres still another thing I want to ask:
    Now I know that the nodes define the tire carcass geometry and how they do that. But when i look at the first node of the rtrainer tire I see this geometry information:

Geometry=(0.175,-0.182,0.006)

Are those values based on the 3dsmax pivot? So does this mean I have to set the pivot right into the tire CG?

7. erale

erale Registered

This means (x,y,thickness) of the node.

See each node as a point in a 2d space. 0,0 is your tire center. In this case that point would lie 0.175 meters right from the tire center and 0.182 meters below it.

8. Rocksor

Rocksor Registered

the problem here is: where is that 0,0 in the graphics?

To make it clear have a look at this example in 3dsmax.
    View attachment 3263

I've got a tire modeled and the pivot set in the center of the tire radius in side view, but not in the center of the front view. When I start defining my nodes here from x=0.175 to x=-0.175 does this mean the tire physics is calculated in the red area (with the pivot as (0,0)) whereas the graphics are show where you can see the model or will it take the center of the 3d model as (0,0)?

greetz

9. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

tgm is not graphics but physics. You basically build a physical model of a tyre and graphics model is adjusted to that.
    Yes, coords are in relation to what you might call a center of a tyre.

10. erale

erale Registered

If you would model your tire in 3ds max and center your pivot on your object, that would be your 0,0.

11. Rocksor

Rocksor Registered

Allright thank you.
    I think thats it for now concerning the tgm basics. When I go depper into the tgm I'm sure some more questions will occur.

I'll be back^^