Tire deg - Visual effects control

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Niels Tieman, Jan 18, 2023.

1. Niels Tieman

Niels Tieman Registered

Hi,

I'm currently developing new textures for a open wheel mod. And to my understanding rf2 has two textures which transition from one to the other to simulate tire wear. The first texture is a brand new tire and the second texture is the worn tire. RF2 blends them together depending on the tire wear.

Is this controable somehow? Let's take the current F1 tire as a example. They are mighty glossy in the beginning and that wears of pretty quickly. After that the 'normal' stage takes place until graining or extensive wear happens.

Can we control the blending fases somehow? If yes, how and where?

2. doddynco

doddynco Registered

It's a bit limited I'm afraid. You have those two textures and the game engine simply blends between the two linearly from 0% wear to 100%.

The only thing I can add is that a tyre with 100% wear on rf2 is generally absolutely wrecked and far beyond the time where even a very late tyre change would've happened. This is because the wear in rf2 is based both on tread wear (this is the 0-100% figure we are given, AND the measure by which the blend of the two textures is determined) and thermal degredation (of which we have no ui or visual indicator, but in a lot of cases has the biggest effect on the grip of the tyre).

So with that in mind, your wrecked tyre texture should resemble just that - a completely wrecked tyre, far beyond 'worn'. Though it would be a good idea to use the typical wear pattern, but just with a really high visual wear intensity. This is so that when the tread is 25% worn (perhaps a typical time for a pit stop) the tyre will look like a properly worn tyre.

Niels Tieman likes this.
  3. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

4. ArianL

ArianL Registered

Thank you for the information. It is very important.