tips for using motec

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rapala, Jun 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Rapala

Rapala Registered

I've started messing around with motec after installing the dam plugin, but I'm rather unsure what techniques to use in order to get the most out it to improve my laptimes. I understand the basics, like comparing 2 laps and looking at brake points, throttle application and steering position differences but feel there must be some more powerful analysis possible.
    For those of you that use it, could you possibly share some tips?

2. Jokeri

Jokeri Registered

By far, the best usage of motec would be comparison to faster driver and compare throttle,brake and driving line. The same way as the one program for iRacing does. (Hopefully that sorta thing will get implemented to the new UI)

3. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

A few tips I would offer.
    A few basic things can be gleaned from looking at one lap eg;
    Gearing, Engine and brake temps (know their peak operational temps from Carstat 2).
    Ride height,
    Tyre temps and wear will give you an over view of balance (hotter fronts means understeer).
    Rears lighting up on exit might lead you to changes to technique or setup.

Then as mentioned above it becomes a rich tool when you start to compare laps. 2 laps of yours or you versus another driver. the F3 key will compare 2 laps pace wise.
    Also many of the overlaid parameters will start to show you differences.
    You can look at car setup and separately at driving technique to find pace.

McKiernan likes this.
  4. Rapala

Rapala Registered

Thanks guys. As you say, being able to compare with others would be the most helpful. I imagine a third party tool that automatically uploads motec log files together with road conditions would be super helpful. Hopefully one day we'll see something like this.