time for an RFactor2 Developer Q&A?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MarcG, May 17, 2013.

1. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Just an idea, but as ISI dont communicate all that much could there be a possibility of another Q&A like we used to get pre-release?

Appreciate their time is taken up working on the Sim but there's always questions that they could answer that Tim cant directly, seeing as we're heading towards the Market Push just thought it'd be cool to have a few burning questions answered :)

2. coops

coops Banned

3. deak1944

deak1944 Guest

4. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

1+1=2

That was easy. Come on guys. Give me sth harder now. :)

5. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

+1

Keep banging your ahead against that brick wall, Marc.

6. Thor

Thor Registered

7. Andreas Binz

Andreas Binz Registered

Q: Is DX11 in future imaginable or is this completely impossible ?

8. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

For what do you need that? Seriously.

9. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

I just want ISI to comment on the pre-release images that were shown.

I would love a sentence or two about each one – perhaps something like this...

[HR][/HR]

We spent a lot of time making our rain effects look believable, but they were too resource-intensive so we chose to scale back for the initial software release. Hopefully this tech will be included at a later date.
    [​IMG]

We started work on a French hillclimb, but we decided to step away from the track until we locked down more elements in the graphics pipeline.
    [​IMG]

These karts were something we made for rFactor 1 but never had time to finish. Perhaps someday we'll release them for rFactor 2.
    [​IMG]

This was just a fun prototype that we put together for off-road racing. Keen observers will notice the Toban water tower in the distance.
    [​IMG]

We built this track for rFactor 2 and we fully plan to release it once we have some suitable oval cars to share.
    [​IMG]

10. Miro

Miro Registered

THIS is basically giving me headache. :(

........many builds later................. re-enabled water drops, wipers, and so on..............

11. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Nobody tends to just ask the questions. When they do, they'll usually get an answer from me (nobody seems to notice this). The Q&As you seemed to like... It would usually be me confirming, and me writing them up... lol And even then, there's usually less actual answers than I tend to give in a week where I'm actually active on the forum... :)

Honestly if people want to have a Q&A to get an answer on the things we've already answered (like DX11 I see in this thread), go for it. Just don't be annoyed by the fact that you'll get the answer you get, and that I'm the one who typed it. :p

Feel free to collect together some questions and shoot them over:
    timw@imagespaceinc.com

12. 88mphTim

Please search the forum for answers on this.

Impossible isn't a word I would apply to any answer.

13. 88mphTim

Everything that I can see is waiting to be updated, have art passes, have code reimplemented and updated, and be reintroduced into the product. Nothing unusual, and exactly the same thing that happened to some of the content and features you already have.

14. 88mphTim

To translate, reenabling means code rewrites, animation work (past a proof of concept like that screenshot) and implementation of the code and animations. It isn't flicking a switch. And "many builds later" happens because the code could not be put back in earlier (without causing considerable additional reworking because of doing it earlier).

15. Miro

Miro Registered

I was aware of that Tim, but still it gives me headache. The thing is I love racing in rain.
    rF2 needed about 16 months to get rain spray in it's actual form so let me guess then when it is going to be "like it should" with all the rain candies.
    Don't get me wrong, I like the sim very much, but it is a damn slow progress in this regard which is a quite important selling argument for rF2 IMO.

16. 88mphTim

I agree it has been slow progress during the period it was not being worked on. However, for the period it has been worked on (the last two builds) it is going well. Prior to that they were working in other areas needed, specifically track surface and tire code. They can't give you wet weather without tire model updates to use racing in it... Your headache would be much worse if they did.

17. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

Luckily modern (still present in not modern medicin too. :D) medicine has this: [​IMG]

I'm a patient man so waiting for many goodies for rf2 isn't very hard for me. I know that you guys want to deliver us things as fast as you can while maintaining the quality. Many guys did it for many years and I believe you all know what you're doing. I'm just gonna sit here, give my feedback when needed and wait for more goodies. Gimmie. :cool:

18. 88mphTim

I do still feel it'd be a good time for a Q&A, if you guys wanted to put together a community one. Feel free to start a thread and let me know when you have a list.

19. R1CHO

R1CHO Registered

That rain is very impressive :)

20. pleclair

pleclair Registered

I don't get it.. many people will complain when a company like EA rushes it's dev to release an half-baked title, that will get playable thru patches and updates 6 months-1 year later, but when a company like ISI decides to do things right, and release stuff when they meet their own expectations, people complain they don't have the goodies fast enough.

Remember, you could still be playing rFactor 1, and rFactor 2 could be tested internally or by a select few people as in a closed beta.

I'm just happy to have whatever is available.

218 removed one very important feature for me, transparent trainer, and I'm still running it and hoping it gets fixed in the next release... but I haven't posted a negative comment about it.

Whatever you guys feels at a giving time, remember than when you write stuff in forums, there is actually a human being on the other side reading it... and negativity can take it's toll on the dev side...

just saying...