Thruxton Freezes (FIXED) AMD 22.5.1 WORKS!

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Theseus, Nov 9, 2022.

1. Theseus

Theseus Registered

I'm having an issue with the Thruxton track and my screen freezes but I can still hear the audio. This happens every time and I've unsubscribed from all worshop content and uninstalle/installed ,rF2 and it still happens. Any help would be appreciated.

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

What video card do you have? AMD video card drivers have been known to cause lockups &/or CTD after v22.5.1.
    NEVER un-install, only as a last resort. Huge time waste. Have you verified the files in Steam? Tried both the Release Candidate AND the NONE option? (both should be the same as of Monday) but try both. Remember to verify after changing. Does this happen at other tracks?

3. Ike Tews

Ike Tews Registered

Have the same issue - screen freezes after last game update. Games does work behind the frozen screen, but at that moment there is nothing i can do except closing via task manager.
    Does anybody know what i can switch off in the Radeon driver to avoid?
    Thx,
    Ike

4. Theseus

Theseus Registered

I've been tinkering around and now the game just crashes and returns to desktop/steam after track loads 100%. This is so frustrating :(

5. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

any driver NEWER than 22.5.1 may have whatever the new feature AMD added to the drivers that is the cause of the lockups. Users of other games have also had issues with the newer drivers so it is not limited to just rF2. Some users here have said they can use 22.10.2 but that still gave me lockups. If you do try a newer driver than 22.5.1, then turn off ALL the AMD exclusive features, Some of those are Radeon Super Resolution, Anti-Lag, Radeon Chill, Freesync. and Radeon Enhanced Sync. I haven't found any real solution other than using the older driver 22.5.1. And look up DDU and use that to completely remove all the hidden bits of any display driver.

DJCruicky likes this.
  6. Theseus

Theseus Registered

Thanks for the help davehenrie much appreciated. I used DDU then rolled back to 22.7.1 and I guess I'll try 22.5.1 and see if that works.

7. Theseus

Theseus Registered

ok looks fixed after using DDU to uninstall all the old AMD drivers (In Safe Mode) and then installed V 22.5.1.

davehenrie YOU ARE THE MAN THANKS!

8. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I'm only repeating what others found for us. Glad you got it working.

Theseus likes this.
  9. Ike Tews

Ike Tews Registered

I did that yesterday - was a bit of a mess because DDU didn't worked correct first time and freezes and my system hung up in safe mode. but in the end i managed it and must say with driver 22.5.1 game runs now without freezes.

Before removing the newest driver i tried to disable the AMD special features you wrote but without success. I really hope a future driver from AMD sort this problems out. From q picture quality view i would say that with a newer driver the game looks better..

But so far i stick to 22.5.1