The game crashes

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Stephane Tudela, Feb 22, 2023.

1. Stephane Tudela

Stephane Tudela Registered

First of all sorry for my english, I'm french.

I play Rfactor2 with an AMD 6800 XT and an AMD 5900x and 32GO ram.
    I use a Reverb G2 too.

Yesterday I bought the Honda Civic and Long Beach but it's impossible to run them. The game crashes.
    It works when I select a Ferrari and the Nurburg but it systematically crashes when I try to drive the Honda. Who could help me to fix it?

Of course, I've checked the content, it's all OK, I've downloaded all the files. I've even have desinstalled and reinstalled the game to be sure to be clean but nothing changed.
    Thanks for your help.

2. Alex Sawczuk

Alex Sawczuk Administrator Staff Member

Which AMD Drivers are you using? There is a lot of issues with new AMD Drivers, and people generally report that 22.5 is the most stable.

Stephane Tudela likes this.
  3. Beside the fact that there is a problem with AMD GPU drivers, please keep in mind that a deinstallation of the game will not remove all the files - IMHO userdata folder will be left and there we 've got the localstorage subfolder which deletion solves some issues, too.

4. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Any driver newer than 22.5.1 appear to have issues with rF2. Some users say the newest version is better but still experiences lockups at some point.
    I've left messages on the AMD forum but gotten no help. All I can recommend is use DDU in safe mode to remove your current drivers and then install v22.5.1. (make sure you download a copy of v22.5.1 BEFORE removing the current drivers)

5. Stephane Tudela

Thanks Dave. Do you think that it wil be enough to fix it ? Sériously, I'm desesperate.

6. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Yes, I have a 6700 XT and have had zero lockups or crashes since migrating back to v22.5.1. It is an AMD video driver issue, some feature that AMD introduced after v22.5.1 and it has been causing problems for many rF2 users since.

7. Stephane Tudela

OK. Great then. Now, THE stupid question: how do I have to proceed precisely to change that driver? Very sorry for that stupid question but I really am not easy with that kind of stuff...

8. Stephane Tudela

PROBLEM SOLVED. Thanks for your help folks. You're wonderful:)

davehenrie likes this.
  9. headegg

headegg Registered

You can't be serious right? Instead of fixing this Sim where I pay for every single little bit of content, they expect you to install a driver that is nearly a year old?

10. Stephane Tudela

I guess so. I dont care how old is the driver. The only thing that matters is that the game works.

11. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Up until AMD CHANGED the driver, the rF2 video code worked perfectly with the existing standards. rF2 did not change, AMD did. AMD has released a raft of updated drivers since trying to fix the problem they created that affect way more than just rF2. Plenty of complaints from 1st person shooters and more have flooded the AMD forums. So what happens if S397 changes their code and then AMD makes another new feature that breaks the video system again? NV cards have continued to function with rF2 so it is not a systemic problem with rF2 but some conflict with the newest set of drivers released by AMD. Nothing wrong with using old drivers IF THEY WORK, which they do.

12. Stefan Donath

Stefan Donath Registered

It isn't one hundred percent correct.
    Something within rF2 was changed to optimize loading times of tracks.
    Before this change the May preview driver was working normal.
    They had a bug within singleplayer back in the time when this change was made in rF2 . So this change was for a short time only available within multiplayer while singleplayer stays on the old code. In this time the crashes only occours within multiplayer. Singleplayer was running correct even with this may preview driver, until the bug was fixed within singleplayer. At the moment the bug was fixed, both modes (single and multi) showing the same crashes with the may preview driver.
    So yeah, AMD changed something and there are problems within a lot of games.
    On the other side i think about 99% are running fine.
    And nobody could say if the driver and rF2 is fully compatible with DX11 standard. Maybe there is a single function causing this issue which is only used in a few games and programs.

13. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Good point about the track loading times. Still, even the tracks with the track loading change work as intended with the v22.5.1 driver.

14. Stefan Donath

Stefan Donath Registered

Yeah you're right. But also all tracks are loading correct with the newer driver until the mentioned optimization was applied.
    So it isn't easy to say who is the responsible. Best would be a work together between AMD and S397.

davehenrie likes this.
  15. headegg

headegg Registered

My biggest issue is the radio silence regarding this topic. A substantial part of the playerbase needs to decide between being able to race or having the latest performance updates for other games that they play.

We cannot pinpoint any one responsible party, we can only gather infos. My best guess is AMD fixed a bug in a feature that many games worked around beforehand. This workaround now breaks games that have to work with AMD to fix it.
    For some reason this is the step that it stopped on for rFactor 2.

They have a bunch of technically inclined people among their customers that would love to help out, but it seems like there is no priority for this topic. If someone at S397 reads this: Please contact me or one of the others who are trying to solve this. This cannot just be ignored, a big chunk of your userbase is affected by this.

16. Robi

Robi Registered

Hi Stephane, how did you solve your issue ?(I have the same) Do you "downgrade" your driver ?