SOLVED TGM - tire heat

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Rock, Mar 10, 2023.

1. Rock

Rock Registered

Hello friends, I put aside my work for a while and I forgot what value to modify to force the tires to heat up
    1) with the increase in speed, and 2) friction in the curves.

2. Nicola59

Nicola59 Registered

Hi, mate
    the factors influencing heating in TGM file are these:
    Realtime section

DegradationPerUnitHistory=(Degradation per heat history step, up to 32 values

InternalGasHeatTransfer=(.........................) // (base, mult, power) - heat transfer coefficients to internal gas cavity = base+(mult*(vel^power)), where vel is linear velocity of tire

ExternalGasHeatTransfer=(..............) // (base, mult, power) - heat transfer coefficients to external air = base+(mult*(vel^power)), where vel is linear velocity of tire

TireRadiationEmissivity=....... // thermal radiation emissivity for external tire surface

The optimum, and starting temperature of tyre is however in TBC compound:

Temperatures=(.......,........) // Optimum operating temperature for peak forces (Celsius), starting temperature

redapg likes this.
  3. Rock

Rock Registered

A big thank you Nicolas for the memory ;-). Can someone give me details on the action of the three values of "InternalGasHeatTransfer=(a........,b........,c.........) "

4. redapg

redapg Registered

The official "Explanation" from the Skip barber TGM is:
    (base, mult, power) - heat transfer coefficients to internal gas cavity = base+(mult*(vel^power)), where vel is linear velocity of tire
    And the used Values are: (10,5,0.6)

5. Nicola59

Nicola59 Registered

Thank You Rock, and Chris.
    Without entering in a "deep" discussion about Linear Velocity and other "formulas", what is evident is the little difference in values between Internal and external values; the fact that first Factor in RF2 is always at maximum 10 ( and no more ) for dry tyres, while in Wet tyres may be a little bit less ( 9.5 or 9 ). Similarly, the "mult" factor ( the second ) commonly is 5 in dry tyres, but can be 4.5 in Wet tyres.

6. Raintyre

Raintyre Registered

Copied from old posts, I guess it still works like this:

For rolling heat rate (increase in speed):
    ('Realtime' section on your tgm file)
    DampingHeatEnergy=( , , ) >>> increase to obtain more rolling heat (sidewall ,carcass , tread)
    ExternalGasHeatTransfer=( , , ) >>> reduce to reduce heat loss to air
    GroundContactConductance=( , ) >>> reduce to reduce heat loss to ground

Specific for sliding heating (friction in curves):
    DryTerrainEffect=( , ,X) /// third variable specifies the fraction of sliding power applied to the tyre as heat energy (1 means 100%)
    WetTerrainEffect=( , , 0.4)

You can also replace specific heat and conductivity for every material on every tgm node.

TreadMaterial=( , , , , , X, X)

But this is more difficult to handle. You can reduce specific heat to increase heating rate when sliding, but possibly you also will increase cooling rate when tyre is not sliding. And layers interchange temperatures in complex ways so it is not easy to get what you want.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2023
    mantasisg and Lazza like this.
  7. Rock

Rock Registered

Raintyre, a big thank for these precisions, here is a lot of work to come for me with all this precious information ;-)

Raintyre likes this.