Textures Problem

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by SimoG, Feb 19, 2016.

1. SimoG

SimoG Registered

Hi at all

I have this problem with the trees texture when seen from a distance:

[​IMG]

In gJED is very noticeable, while in the game is visible only in the mirrors.

Another problem with the Road Textures which I think is related (Also evident here in gjed and rarest of the game) when I moved away the camera, appear those furrows and lines:

[​IMG]

These the settings I use when saving the texture:

[​IMG]

DXT1 but I use DXT5 format if the texture have a Alpha channel.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2016
  2. R Soul

R Soul Registered

It might be the Mipmap filter. Try using default or box. I don't know the difference but someone else on another forum discussing another engine once mentioned it.

3. SimoG

SimoG Registered

Thanks but not work. i try box and a cople of other options. The situation improves from a distance but continues to show up in the middle/close distance:

It's an animated gif, Click to view:
    [​IMG]

I try to look for another plugin or an alternative program to save in dds, hoping to solve.

if you have other suggestions are welcome

4. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Sorry but I'm not sure I see the problem. Same for your post in the italian forum.

That gif really say nothing to me...sorry. :)

PS: I really think you are overdoing a bit with BillBoards....:)

5. SimoG

SimoG Registered

OK

There are a Y shape trees. perhaps worse? :) the total number of polygons of the track is about 570.000

in any case, the track does not seem heavy. My pc is more than obsolete but as fps are in line with the other tracks But if you say the landscape is too much I can always delete it, even if I like the atmosphere that gives.

The effect is exactly what you see in the gif: the texture seems to traslate as if i move the UVMap and changes depending on the distance with a fade effect
    In the various tests I confirm it is precisely the Mipmap does not work because if i check the voice "no mipmaps" when I save the problem disappears.

Thanks

EDIT: Solved. I found out what I was wrong. The two textures were too big (Road texture: 4092x2048, the trees 4092x4092) , halved the resolution, disappeared the problems. A question what is the maximum resolution permitted?

While the "speckled effect" I solved putting mip level box to -1 in all textures affected, however, the box does not work. gJed does not save the settings. Just pass to the next texture, next material and then return to the previous, this parameter reset to 1 or 0. Sometimes the check in the Mip Auto box disappears. insisting repeatedly, at the end in the Diffuse remained set.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2016