Textures Less Bigger or More Smaller

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Butters, May 2, 2013.

1. Butters

Butters Registered

Hi all,

Just a quick question before all of the UV's are created for the car textures.

Am I better off having 3 or 4 larger textures or have one large one for the skin painters and then lots of smaller textures for the generic parts/objects of the car.

By larger I am thinking along these lines
    Skin Painters Template - 2048 x 2048
    Engine & brakes - 1024 x 1024
    Cockpit - 1024 x 1024
    Odds and ends 1024 x 1024

Other than the Motec and Driver textures these would be all that is required for the mod.

Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated especially if my logic is flawed lol. Would rather get it right the first time if possible.

Cheers

2. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

Other than the Motec and Driver textures these would be all that is required for the mod you'll need around 13+ templates for the car.
    The size is up to whether you want high quality or just average remembering the better the textures, the lower the FPS unless it's a high powered PC. This is were LOD's are important.

You'll need, Body - Chasis + undercarrage - Engine - Windows - Brakes + caliper - Rims - Dash - Dash detail - LD interior - HD interior - HD steering wheel - tyre wall - tyre tread= new - tyre tread worn for rF2.
    This is for just the spinner car. Not including driver - helmet - light glow - gauges if analog + needle/s if different gauges are used. Digital gauges = font map/s and background textures.
    There's more to it then this still but this list is just off the top of my head without opening a Mas file.

Most depends on the type of car your building. Open wheeler have less but not much less. Others may ague that the list is to long and yes if you squash things up onto less templates you can achieve it but pay for it with rubbish looking low quality textures because their so small. Again a choice you'll need to make. Not what I'd recommend.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2013
  3. Butters

Butters Registered

Thanks for the response D.Painter you have definitely given me some things to consider. I hadn't actually considered the impact that condensing everything onto larger textures would have in regards to LOD's of objects and that they would possibly be pulling a larger texture for one small part.