Testing and Tuning Skidpad/G-Ring

Discussion in 'Locations' started by blakboks, Jun 23, 2012.

1. blakboks

blakboks Registered

Hey there boys and girls...

I've created a really basic, stupidly simple, yet gaudy as hell, skidpad. I called it the G-Ring--it's clever, right?

Prepare to have your eyes melted while testing your car!

Anyway, yeah, I've seen people asking for a skidpad, so I made one. It's not supposed to be anything fantastic...

NOTE:It will not work in Single Player or Online--it has no AIW, Pit Garages, etc. Per Goanna's testing, it sounds like it will also only work in Practice sessions in DevMode.

I've included my source files (.max and .psd's). Feel free to do with it whatever you want. Like it says in the readme, if you happen to improve it and release it, throw a little credit my way, is all I ask.

To install: just extract to rFactor2\ModDev\Locations\
    [EDIT]: You should no longer have to copy files over from Joesville--but they are still required to use this 'track'.

Download it here: http://www.mediafire.com/?zkw3ydhct4j6ot8
    (If anyone else wants to host it, by all means, please do)

Here's a screenshot (sunglasses recommended :cool: ):
    [​IMG]
    View attachment 2917

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2012
  2. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

I like this idea so I followed your instructions, but upon loading the "track", the progress bar only made it to 8% and then stopped.

Any suggestions for resolving this issue?

3. blakboks

blakboks Registered

You're loading in DevMode, right? Copied over the three textures from Joesville?

Sorry, haven't ever released a track before, you're my guinea pig... :D

I just tried moving my existing TestingAndTuning folder out, and extracting the contents of the .RAR to the \DevMode\Locations folder, copied over the Joesville textures into \TestingAndTuning\GRing\MAPs and it loaded up fine for me. I doubt if I have anything special as far as settings that would make it playable for me, but unplayable for someone else.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2012
  4. Goanna

Goanna Registered

Had the same problem...turns out this line in the scn file was causing the problems ....SearchPath=F:\GAMES\RFACTOR2\MODDEV\LOCATIONS\JOESVILLE\ASSETS\MAPS\.... pointed it at the my Joesville folder location and it loaded....couldn't drive anywhere though...just gotta sort out what I'm doing wrong...lol

Cheers

Goanna

5. blakboks

blakboks Registered

Ok, yeah...I totally forgot about the search paths. Unfortunately, my computer died yesterday. I should still have all of the files, I just need to reinstall the OS once I can do some recovery. So it may be a while until I can update the .zip.

@goanna. When you say you cant drive anywhere, do you mean you fall throughthe world, or what?

6. Goanna

Goanna Registered

No m88y, spawn in ok, but throttle/brake etc just don't do anything(yep they are setup), nor does the ESC key...have to CTRL ALT DEL to get out...it's like it has stopped responding (actually when I get out that's exactly what it says), but I'm able to enter the AIW editor screens etc...just won't let me drive. I ported Belgium to Modev and can drive there so I don't exactly know what the problem is/could be.

Cheers

Goanna

EDIT: Turns out it was a PICNIC problem (Problem In Chair Not In Computer) :rolleyes:... I had practice and qually sessions turned off...once I turned them on I can drive.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2012
  7. blakboks

blakboks Registered

Ahh...actually, that kinda makes sense. It seems the 'track' is only usable in Practice (?), since it doesn't have any of the AIW stuff set up. Another good thing to add to the ReadMe when I get to it.

8. blakboks

blakboks Registered

Ok, I've finally got my computer up and running again. I made some changes to the .SCN file, so all you have to do now is just extract the .zip to the \rfactor2\moddev\locations folder. The updated download link is in the first post. Please let me know if it doesn't work again for some reason! Thanks!