Temporary GT500 Sound Fix(Offline Only!!!)

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by davehenrie, Feb 12, 2017.

1. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

The problem with the unbalanced sound stems from one line in the engine.ini file for the GT500. They missed a negative symbol and that placed the location of the engine noises too far to the left. So if you edit one line, you can place the sound closer to the center of your screen and hopefully balance the sound.
    This solution WILL cause mis-matches online and you won't be able to join any regular session. But here is what you do. Use the Mas2 utility on the rF2 launcher. Open the NissanGT500_car.mas and extract the engine file, which is named: Nissan_VRH34B_engine.ini
    Now use any txt editor and edit the engine.ini file. Change the following line, which is near the bottom of the engine.ini file.
    From this:
    EngineSound=(0.4,0.6,-1)
    to this:
    EngineSound=(-0.4,0.6,-1)

Save the engine file and repack it back into the mas file. MAKE SURE THE FILE has the .ini extension as some txt editors may try to default to .txt.
    If you save a copy of your NissanGT500_car.mas before you begin, you can then just swap it with your new edited file for online racing.(of course this will mean you are again hearing all of the engine from your left speaker.)

Badboy, jerrymcc and Juergen-BY like this.
  2. UnitedRacingDesign

UnitedRacingDesign Registered

Just wondering, im looking at this on my car now.
    EngineSound=(-0.4,0.6,-1) first one is for left and right, shouldnt it be 0.0? the engine is at center of the car on the lenght right? So its 40cm offset now. 0.6 is the height, this could be somewhere there but the -1 is actually just 1m from rear axle to the front that means in cockpit right? Shouldnt be more infront?

3. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I took the original sound location and moved it laterally only. You are correct that ZERO should be the location of the engine sound. That would place it in the center of the car. But that has two failings. 1. The engine is more than a millimeter wide. The sound from a V8 is not contained along a very narrow line down the center of the car, but originates from the entire engine bay. . So to make up for this you have to move it closer to the steering wheel so that the speakers transmit a broader sound. If this were an F1 car where the cockpit is also along the center-line, then the sound might not be a problem. Something in the engine sfx seems to want to narrowly fix the sound location. I just made it closer to the location of the wheel so that either the center speaker or a user's left/right speakers will get more of the sound.
    This is not a cure, just something to make it less of a distraction.
    2. To be honest, it has been so long since I worked with sound files from my GTR2 days, I was a little unsure about the other two. So I left those alone. Moving the engine sound further forward might also improve the spacial width of the sound. I'll try that later tonight. (it's movie night right now...I'm cheating while somebody is on a bathroom break) :)
    Thanks for your input. I'll see if I can improve my original fix.

UnitedRacingDesign and MaD_King like this.
  4. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

ok, here is another possible solution. Moves the engine a 'little' closer to center and forward.

EngineSound=(-0.25,0.6,-1.8)
    I don't have many specs on the Nissan, but the wheelbase seemed rather long compared to some of the LMP cars I am used to working on.
    So the forward position is just a guess.

Attached Files:

5. UnitedRacingDesign

UnitedRacingDesign Registered

Ok :) This came to my head when ive seen this post to fix on my car, hehe.
    So i went and tested on my "nissan" this stuff. Came to this numbers;
    EngineEmission=(0,0.71,-2.8)
    EngineSound=(0.0,0.5,-2.5)
    Should be similar to the S397 model, atleast the second and third numbers :) As my car has 4zyl, i guess the 0 front is fine, hehe

davehenrie likes this.
  6. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Thanks!
    Just tried your location numbers and it sound pretty good there. Thanks so much for the measurements. Once again folks, remember, this edit will cause Online mismatches. So back up and beware
    Hopefully Marcel and crew can take a look at this little experiment and really shine up v1.3.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
    UnitedRacingDesign likes this.
  7. Sebastien Sestacq

Sebastien Sestacq Registered

Personally i am waiting for sounds how to say ... worthy of a 2017 game...o_O

peterchen likes this.