Temperature sensitivity of tires

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by jtbo, Aug 17, 2012.

1. jtbo

jtbo Registered

I have had bit of issue with my tires, they heat up quite fast and as they hit over 200C temps they become ice blocks.

So I was thinking which affect to that and did experiment where I did change line StaticCurve= so that grip says constant with heat increase.

I haven't had time to do much testing, but my initial impression is that it did remove only part of effect, not all of it. But it made ice effect to go away.

Tires do work lot better when doing drifts or burnouts, but now I'm thinking that true issue must lie somewhere elsewhere and this is just masking that true issue

Around 1s burnout to 200C and 2-3 seconds to 450C.

Tires are BT20 tires with just changed size and lowered friction coefficient, before I go and make tires that are whole new design I would like to learn bit more so I play with these and try to get better understanding what effects to which.

As car is 1600kg level there probably are some issues, mostly I think that tires are lot softer under that mass making them to be perhaps more street tire like.

I think that some answer to issues can be found from these:
    SlidingAdhesionCurve=(-9.2, 0.33, -4.6, 1.7, -0.4, 0.19)
    SlidingMicroDeformationCurve=(-4.9, 0.26, -0.6, 1.8, +3.1, 0.26)
    SlidingMacroDeformationCurve=(-0.8, 0.19, +2.8, 2, +6.4, 0.33)
    RubberPressureSensitivityPower=(-0.085,5000,500000,1) // power,offset,nominal_max,normalize

Quite little information about these though, anyone has more about these parameters?

2. Knut Omdal Tveito

Knut Omdal Tveito Registered

Information about the curves can be found in the TGM manual I think. From memory I think its:
    SlidingAdhesionCurve=(-9.2, 0.33, -4.6, 1.7, -0.4, 0.19) minimum velocity,friction at miniumum, velocity for peak friction, peak friction, maximum velocity, friction at maximum velocity.

, here the velocity is the sliding velocity and it is given logarithmic. So minimum velocity is 10^(-9.2)

If you plot friction coeff versus logarithm(aT*sliding velocity), then a single curve looks like a camel hump, and the three added together looks like a camels back that has three humps (but with quite some overlap).

The curve is specified for aT=1 (From WLF equation). For real tyre-, tarmac- and glass-temperatures the curve will be shifted left or right depending on the value of aT, so thats where the temperature comes into play.

Depending on where you are on the curve, the friction will vary and also the dropoff for the slipcurves.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2012
  3. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Silly, I did look there and I could not find it, now I look again and it is there, must be that I accidently did look older document first.

I believe that I must start with this as it affects so much others, also WLF parameters, it looks like that those are now which cause main issue as car's weight is so much more than what these parameters are made for. Many values I think are such that don't need touching if I keep ISI tire material and construction, but when I get better with tires I need of course to make more accurate tire materials and adjust a lot more, but I try to take one step at the time as guide tells me to do :p