TDF Error in Dev Mode

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Strava, May 25, 2021.

1. Strava

Strava Registered

This problem started a few days ago. So may be related to the new UI update.

Tracks that I have had in moddev for a long time and have loaded OK for a long time are now getting a TDF error.

19.00s specialfx.cp 3766: Using TDF File: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\ModDev\Locations\Lochness\LochNess.tdf
    19.03s JNILog.cpp 33: LoadingStatus: at 0.77320004%
    19.09s Collision.cp 398: Could not find TDF definition for material: CONCRETE
    28.96s Collision.cp 398: Could not find TDF definition for material: FENCEB
    29.39s Collision.cp 398: Could not find TDF definition for material: FENCEPOST

The errors are for materials that are not part of the race surface.
    Obviously a fence post would not be set to driveable.

Here is the .scn entry for the fence line:
    Instance=fencecl02
    {
    VisGroups=(32)
    MeshFile=fencecl02.gmt CollTarget=True HATTarget=True
    }

I took a track that was getting these errors, put it in an rfcmp and installed it.
    It loads without error in production rF2.

So the problem is not caused by anything in this track's folder.
    What could rF be finding outside of this track's folder that would effect the TDF logic?
    I removed all unnecessary .scn files like _output.scn from both locations and vehicles.
    That made no difference.

What else could I check?

2. Goanna

Goanna Registered

It means that in your tdf file there is no material defined for concrete, fenceb and fencepost.

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Hattarget objects need materials referenced in the tdf.

4. Strava

Strava Registered

Hi Goanna. Thanks but, the meaning of the message is obvious. The question is why am I getting them now when I was not before.

Hi Lazza. I know there are TDF entries for some wall types but I did not think it was required.

If I compare the log files for the same track in prod v.s. dev I see they both flag this error.
    But only dev pops up a warning dialog.
    My guess is that, with the latest update, dev mode is showing more warning messages.

In any case, something has changed because I have loaded these tracks in dev mode many many times with out getting these warning pop ups until just a few days ago.

5. Goanna

Goanna Registered

These definitions should have been there from the start, previous iterations of rF2 didn’t display these error messages, S397 have “tightened” things up a bit, hence the messages.

6. redapg

redapg Registered

@Strave As @Lazza has said already, if a Mesh is tagged with HatTarget=True, the Material that the Mesh uses, should be defined in the TDF File.
    And as an additional Info: HatTarget=True should only be used for drivable Surfaces.
    Fences, Walls, Buildings... all other Meshes, should be tagged with HatTarget=False

Garitt Gibsn likes this.
  7. Strava

Strava Registered

To be clear, I do understand why the error is being raised.
    The reason I ask this question is because I just started getting the popup for this error a few days ago.

@Mangoletsi
    Thank you. The March Build Release does include this:
    "Added reporting for driveable surfaces which are not defined in the TDF file in ModDev"
    THAT is the answer I was looking for.

8. redapg

redapg Registered

But when you tag wrong (not drivable) Meshes with HatTarget=True, like this one:
    Instance=fencecl02
    {
    VisGroups=(32)
    MeshFile=fencecl02.gmt CollTarget=True HATTarget=True
    }
    you produce an unnecessary Error-Message by your own. ;)

dosequis56 and Juergen-BY like this.