T500RS with factory brake mod

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by aerobaticrug, May 10, 2014.

1. aerobaticrug

aerobaticrug Registered

Ok, so I've upgraded from a G27 to a T500RS. Great wheel, loving it.

However I am struggling to get the brake right. I have installed the factory brake mod to get the better pedal, had it in the closest position (shortest throw) first but i found it impossible to run with. Now its in the longest throw position - find that too long! I just can't seem to get any consistency in the braking at all.

Does anyone use the factory brake mod? If so could you render me some assistance? :)

I'd love to get the settings right - what do you adjust the brake to or where? I know with my nixim mod on the G27 you had some settings to adjust to compenstate for the stiffer pedal.

2. Justy

Justy Registered

I use the factory brake mod and must admit it does lack a certain amount of feel, particularly the first 25%(ish) of travel. You can spin the foam around in the factory mod, so that the spring acts on the pedal sooner. However I find this under-calibrates my pedal and I don't like the notchy feel it gives. To get a decent amount of feel, I've adjusted my brake pedal sensitivity, in the rF2 controller options to 40% and then I adjust each cars brake pressure/pedal force setting from the garage menu, until I find a setting that feels natural (usually around 80%-90% in dry conditions).

Personally I don't like doing this, as it kinda feels like cheating in a way, but the brakes in rF2 are REALLY touchy with default settings. I suppose, on reflection, it's worth considering that you don't want a linear 1:1 ratio with your brake pedal, unless you are using a load cell brake.

If you haven't seen this before, then it might be of interest, looks easy to DIY something similar to save the pennies too. ;) LINKY: --------> http://www.basherboards.com/T500RS-BMK

Hope it helps. :)

3. aerobaticrug

aerobaticrug Registered

Cheers! That gives me somewhere to start, do you have the pedals hanging or F1 style way up?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

4. Justy

Justy Registered

You're welcome, hope you have some luck.

I have my pedals in the hanging position.

5. aerobaticrug

aerobaticrug Registered

Thats great, thanks :)

6. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

I'd suggest to avoid using the stock brake mod as it is going to wear the pedal bracket, introducing lot of noise and clicks....in the long term will ruin the feeling due the friction between the pedal and the brake mod spring.

7. aerobaticrug

aerobaticrug Registered

@tuttle, what do you use?

8. Tuttle

unfortunately the standard solution...which is weak for sure....but i ruined my brake pedal after few weeks using the brake mod so I cant use it anymore.

9. aerobaticrug

aerobaticrug Registered

Damn, anyone else experienced this?

10. Hectari

Hectari Registered

Was going to post this, seems good and will be the very first thing I purchase when I get T500. Currently using the Nixim mod with G25 pedals and is great, that brake mod seems on a par with it from reviews i've seen, maybe even better?

11. Tuttle

its a very common issue....caused by a cheap approach, as the picture show clearly. You have the spring pushing and twisting against a chromish surface in a not perpendicular system (there is a angle and a partial gap)...I tried a thin piece of adesive rubber but I got calibration issues...so i gave up. :(

[​IMG]

12. DEK

DEK Registered

I m Lucky to got One of The bodin load cells.

13. Nelson

Nelson Registered

I wonder what happened to the official load cell mod by Thrustmaster for the T500 pedals :(

14. Golanv

Golanv Registered

I have the stock mod plus a rubber from a cord twisted to the spring so its not metal on metal... then I put piece of carpet between the spring and the pedal to take out the initial deadzone feeling.
    I dont know about the bracket getting any worse for it, I've been using it awhile and no problems so far, but the thought has crossed my mind.
    How strong is the bracket really, and is it designed for the forces it is subject to!?

The feeling is relatively good, stiffness is constant and progressive which add alot to the feel in heavy braking. To slam on brakes and get all motion out of the pedal takes effort.
    I had calibration issues only when I unplug the pedals, it for some odd reason needs a recalibration that requires your to push the pedal to 100% before it takes. I just pull the carpet piece off, calibrate and put it back, since its tight fit, its not a problem at all.

Edit: I have mine reverse mounted.

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2014
  15. DEK

DEK Registered

Was announced some while ago, but never made it to release.:(
    Sadly...

16. aerobaticrug

aerobaticrug Registered

Well inverting the pedals - so GT style, leaving the brake mod to the longest throw and setting the rF2 controller options to 40% sensitivity is much better. Getting a consistent brake pedal now, just need to tweak a bit.

Thanks to all for the help and advice

17. PaulG

PaulG Registered

As some have stated, the bashermod is absolutely essential (unless you're dead set on getting a load cell). Super cheap and super awesome. It's definitely a first ballot hall-of-fame mod.

18. aerobaticrug

aerobaticrug Registered

Managed to grab a loadcell :)

19. aerobaticrug

aerobaticrug Registered

Peter Reed one apparently, haven't received it yet. Bought of a member on inside sim racing

20. DBell84

DBell84 Registered

Same here. I bought one from his first batch he released. Over a year and half ago and it's as good as new. A friend I've mine has the Basherboard as he hasn't been able to get a Bodin load cell yet. He likes it enough to where he's not sure he will still purchase a Bodin if they become available again.