Suggestion to easier join Servers

Discussion in 'Hosting Help' started by redapg, Jun 11, 2023.

1. redapg

redapg Registered

@Coutie is there any Chance, that we can get what i described in the opening Post?
    Short Description:
    When i try to join a Password protected Server, by using an external Web-Link that has no Password integrated, i get leaded to the Side where i get the Error "invalid Password" and the 2 Options to go to the Menu or leave the Game, that are both useless, when the Server is not listed in the Games and the Steam Server List.
    Instead to that Site, it should lead to the Site where i can enter the Password, to be able to enter the Server.
    That would be a great Help for all Users, that still don't see all available Server in the Game and Steam Server Lists.

2. DanRZ

DanRZ Registered

Hello, i just realized if that would work, what would be the point to use a password. If anybody can connect, why use a password ?

If locked, you surely need to subscribe to a forum/site/discord and get the password there.

By the way, it would still be cool to be sent directly to the site managing the locked server by some direct link when trying to connect. And then choose to subscribe or not ... and get the password or a direct link ...

Good idea ;)

Ps : In counter strike dedicated we had the sv_download_url which could be used in this case.

3. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

I'll ask, but it probably won't happen, not a lot of spare time right now.

redapg likes this.
  4. redapg

redapg Registered

The basic Problem is, that "some" Users still can not see all available Server in the in Game and Steam Server Lists.
    But (and that is a bit strange in my Opinion) if you create an own Server List Website, by using the Steam API, you see all.
    At least you see a lot more.
    So, if you have the Password, you could easily join the Server that is Password protected, when clicking the Link would lead you to the Side where you can enter the Password and not to a Site where you get the Error "invalid Password" and the Options to go to the Menu or leave the Game.
    For sure, you can also join every Server by using a local Shortcut.
    But most Users won't know how to do that, i fear.
    ..... while writing this, i have an Idea, how i maybe can add an Option to my Server Site, that allows to connect properly, if you have the Password already.
    I have to test it.

DanRZ and davehenrie like this.
  5. redapg

redapg Registered

I now did add a Possibility, to join also Password protected Servers, to my Server List.
    You of course have to have the correct Password. :)
    When you click the Link "Join with Password", a smaller Window opens, where you have to enter the Password and click a Button to proceed.
    Then a complete new Link gets generated, that leads you directly to the Multiplayer Selection, where you can choose to drive or just to spectate.
    Currently the Steam Client has to run, to get rFactor 2 starting in that Way.

For those who may ask "For what do we need another Server List?":
    The Steam and also the rFactor 2 in Game Server List don't show all available Server.
    So it sometimes is hard to join Servers, when they are not visible on these Lists.
    But a Server List, made with the Steam API, shows them all or at least a lot more.

DanRZ and DJCruicky like this.