Struggling Immensely with AI Skins

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by KayTup, Nov 9, 2023.

1. KayTup

KayTup Registered

Hey guys,

I know this question has been asked a few different times in a few different ways, but none of the solutions I could find really solve my exact problem. I'm posting this on the Studio 397 Forum as well as reddit in case any of y'all have experience.

In short, my buddy and I run a fully AI-Controlled league involving our community members as drivers. We have done it in AC up until now, but we've been fed up with the lack of safety cars in AC since the cars ttnd to pile up on each other with AC's AI.

I've figured out quite literally everything up to this point EXCEPT for the liveries for our AI cars. I have a full roster created with stats and .rcd files, but they're all created as skins of the Lotus 72 (from the 1975 F1 Mod by Chief Wiggum... INCREDIBLE work on that by the way!). Obviously, it's easy to create an alt skin (alt.dds) and make it work with the car, but whenever I start a race with the cars controlled by AI, they revert back to the original Jacky Ickx paint that the stem of the car comes from. What's stranger is, if I start the race in my own car and choose one of these cars with the alt paint, they load in as I intend them to (with the custom paint.) However, none of the other cars do.

It seems that, no matter what, these cars are tied to Jacky Ickx's car and paint, which makes sense, but I feel like there HAS to be some way to remove that linkage and make them stand alone... but I don't have the technical knowledge to do that yet as I'm fairly new to rF.

I've done plenty of digging in the LOTUS_TEAMS.mas file and that's where I found all of the Ickx dds files as well as his .veh file... but if I try to add new .veh files for my new drivers, they just don't work at all... either rFactor forces me to update the package, removing the new .veh, or the car simply disappears from the selection screen.

I know this is a complex issue, but I'm desperate, if anyone could spare some time to at least point me in the right direction, I don't care how complex the solution is, I'll jump through hoops to get these cars working (even if I have to start them from scratch!)

Thank you all so much!

P.S. Thank you so much to Wiggum for your awesome work on these cars, they're so much fun to watch and race. Really grateful you chose to share your work with us!

2. redapg

redapg Registered

@KayTup If Nobody will reply here, open a private Conversation with me.

KayTup likes this.
  3. ThomasJohansen

ThomasJohansen Registered

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 10, 2023
    KayTup likes this.
  4. KayTup

KayTup Registered

THANK YOU!! You’re a lifesaver, I went a step further and learned to create rfcmp package files and that’s been the easiest way to do it… this is awesome! Thank you again, I’m really excited to keep working on my liveries.

Attached Files:

Corgan, ThomasJohansen and DJCruicky like this.