steering wheel question

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Full Right, May 13, 2023.

1. Full Right

Full Right Registered

New to rF2, and my wheel is a Logitech Driving Force. I have it calibrated fine in the game but inputs to the left and to the right are a problem. I have to turn the wheel either way too much to turn. I've looked at all the settings pages but am confused as to which setting will help me get this squared up. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

2. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Post a picture of your steering settings.

3. Full Right

Full Right Registered

Will do. Thanks!

4. Full Right

Full Right Registered

IMG_1868 (1).jpg Delayed here for a few days but here's a pic. To be more specific, the wheel/pedals is Logitech Driving Force GT. The disk for the logitech profiler is long gone....like a sock in a dryer. However, it works just fine without it in GPL, for example. rF2 recognizes the wheel and pedals and received the assignments for the pedals, wheel, and other buttons. The only issue is when I turn left, for instance, the wheel takes a lot of input similar to a real car with lots of play in the wheel. Straight line is fine. Hope this narrows the issue. Please let me know what you think and thanks in advance!

IMG_1868 (1).jpg

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Steering sensitivity on 20% is probably the issue. Should be 100% if I recall correctly. You want straight lines on that steering graph, forming a V.

Full Right likes this.
  6. Full Right

Full Right Registered

Thanks Lazza. I'll give that a shot but 100% was where I started and the problem was present. Perhaps, it'll work since I've had some time with the sim. Any other suggestions most welcome. rF2 has so many settings it can get a little overwhelming early on like I am with it.

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

If device driver is working fine, the rest looks ok.

To test, you'd instead set it to Software, and manually set the angle to 900 degrees. Then leave it set by vehicle as you have.

Outside of the game you'd set your wheel to the full 900 degrees.

Assuming (I know!) that's all working right, it could be that you're just not used to the amount of steering required, or that the particular car you're driving has the steering ratio wrong.

Full Right likes this.
  8. Full Right

Full Right Registered

@Lazza, thanks for your advice. I downloaded the most recent Logitech software for the wheel & calibrated things there. Loaded the game, put sensitivity back to a 100 and the result was great! Much better steering in the corners. I saw the "Software" option but I am not sure of its significance and wanted to leave well enough alone. What does that option do? I dont understand the description when I hovered over "Software".

Thanks again!

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Full Right The software option means the game sets up the limit of wheel rotation. That's why when you select that you also tell it how much rotation your wheel has - it can then calculate the percentage of full lock you should get in a particular car and stop the wheel turning using FFB.

Device driver attempts to communicate with the wheel directly, and set its rotation that way. If that works it can be the neater solution, but if it can't do it properly the Software option should always work.

Example: your wheel can do 900 deg, and the car has 600 deg lock-to-lock. You have selected the "Set by vehicle" option.

With device driver, the game will say to the wheel: "Set your rotation to 600 degrees", and your wheel will stop at 300 in each direction (by the driver) and will report 100% left/right at that point. The game expects that too, and it all works. (you can probably see, if the wheel doesn't do what the game asks properly, how this can go wrong)

With Software selected instead, the game sees that the vehicle's lock is 2/3 of what your wheel can do (600/900), so it scales your input up by 50% (3/2) and considers you to be at full lock at 66% rotation, and uses FFB to stop you turning further. Your wheel isn't doing anything different, the game (the "software") is managing it. So this will basically always work with any FFB wheel, even if the driver won't work fully with rF2.

There are some other considerations and reasons to use software, but you'll know if they ever apply to you, as long as you know the option is there.

Kahel likes this.
  10. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

Slightly off topic with the steering sensitivity (angle) thing, but you may wish to gradually nudge up the minimum torque setting (single digit percentages) as you have a conventional wheel that has friction etc. to overcome before FFB forces will be felt. General advice is to edge it up a click at a time and trundle down the pit lane. Rinse and repeat until you start to feel shaking/vibration at pit lane speeds and then back it off a notch (or two) - should help you feel detail in the forces out on the road a bit more.

Plenty in the archives if you search.

Full Right likes this.
  11. Full Right

Full Right Registered

Thanks! I am a little unsure with the archives and whether there is a cut off date of their relevance because of rF2 updates etc. Thanks!