Steering Rate vs Steering Wheel Range vs Speed Sensitivity

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by maddawg, May 14, 2020.

1. maddawg

maddawg Registered

I posted a video to YouTube a few days ago. (see below) A friend of mine viewed it and said 'it appears that you are inputting way too much wheel rotation while cornering. Race cars are set up for minimal steering ratios'. I agree with that.
    Today I have been adjusting what I can in Controller Settings to improve cornering with little gain at all. I did notice that there is no adjustment for Steering Wheel Range. It is set at 576 deg. Maybe because I have a Logitech G27 and that's where the soft stop is, although the wheel can be turned to 450 deg.
    I have turned Steering Rate to both 0 and 100% with little appreciable difference (default is 21$)
    I have turned Speed Sensitivity to 100% again with little appreciable difference (default is 0%)
    Either I am missing something in Controller Settings or I am trying to take corners too fast?
    Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Steering rate is for digital controls (like keyboard keys). Zero effect on wheel inputs unless you change a particular json parameter - and I suspect if you did that steering would become quite difficult.

Speed sensitivity slows steering as you gain speed, I have seen people use that somewhat successfully to reduce tyre scrub at high speed but then simply start turning more to compensate.

I say put speed sensitivity on 0, and simply (!) concentrate on straightening your wheel as much as possible. Drive around at about half speed and pay attention to your wheel angle - at full speed you shouldn't need much more, and sometimes less if the back end is moving.

You're doing the typical understeer "turn the wheel more" which achieves nothing, but is a logical and common mistake. (until you lose traction, turning the wheel more makes the car turn more, but near the limit it doesn't)

Spend some time watching your own replays and those of others (including real life) and actually watch your wheel. Many people don't.

maddawg likes this.
  3. maddawg

maddawg Registered

Thanks for your response Lazza. You described exactly what is happening. I need to try and turn my wheel earlier into the beginning of the curve. I believe you are telling me (as I suspected) that there is no magic adjustment that will change my steering ratio. So, I guess its slow down, turn earlier, try to hit the apex of the turn. Back to driving school I go, lol.

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

From a quick view of the video earlier, I wouldn't say you're not turning in early enough, or that it's the main thing to correct. It's more about what happens mid corner. The first 10 seconds of the video is a great example - you turn in, wheel angle is fine, then as you find yourself off line a little you turn the wheel at least twice as far. All that does is scrub the tyres, and if you do happen to slow down enough for them to start gripping up again you'll spin straight around with any power application. That stops you applying power, which slows you for the entire straight.

Of course you don't want to turn in late, but you need to recognise when you're in too fast and actually straighten up the steering, slow a little to recover grip, then continue on your way with a mental note to come in slower next time.

If you just try to turn earlier, you'll understeer from the apex and gain nothing.

maddawg likes this.
  5. maddawg

maddawg Registered

You said, slow a little to recover grip. Is that without braking?

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

If you need to brake to stop going off the track, then do it - but hopefully you don't go that fast into the corner more than once :)

We're only talking about damage limitation from a mistake here - this shouldn't be part of normal driving technique.

maddawg likes this.