Steering Geometry turn angle of front wheels

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Del-Dredd, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Del-Dredd

Del-Dredd Registered

Maybe someone can explain to me.

Ever since GPL I have noticed that sims tend to have the outside wheel turning at a sharper angle than the inside wheel during a turn.

This is completely opposite to what I belive is correct and have ever witnessed on road cars, race cars in paddock with wheels turned and even Karts.

The inside wheel turns in more as it is describing a smaller turn radius than the outside wheel.

If wheels turn as shown in the majority of sims the tyres are fighting the natural turn radius they should be following and hence scrubbing and not performing to their best.

It may only be a graphical thing but it looks totally wrong on open wheelers, indeed in some cases the outside tyre of a turn looks to be pushed sideways across the track.

2. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

You're going to open up a whole can of worms on this one. :p

There are plenty of experts who say that the inside tire does not get enough load for Ackerman steering to have much of an effect.

3. Jan Larsen

Jan Larsen Registered

Depends on the geometry of the rest of the car - caster, KPI etc.

On rc cars it has a huge effect.

4. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Yup, that's just a matter of suspension geometry - mostly ackerman and toes.

5. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

Also your toe settings will effect this a lot. As well as caster and the camber will cause a visual effect too. And when you brush a wall that throws it off as well! Which is one thing I love about rF2- no more wall riding. The slightest brush and your toe is all off (like IRL)

6. Del-Dredd

Del-Dredd Registered

Thanks for the replies, will just ignore the wheel angles even if it looks totally weired.

7. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

Many race cars are setup with negative Ackermann. Sounds weird, but it happens. Don't know how it is for these cars in real life, but it's not unheard of.