Steam Preloading

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FrtizRommel, Jun 14, 2016.

1. FrtizRommel

FrtizRommel Registered

Hello All,

My father has a pretty slow internet connection. Fast enough to race online but a 1GB download takes over 5 hours to finish. Does anybody know if I "preload" rfactor2 on his computer (put my rFactor2 files on a flashdrive and then paste it into his Steam folder) so all he would have to do is buy rFactor 2? No downloading involved on his end.

Thanks!

2. BoothJoe

BoothJoe Registered

When RF2 became available on Steam, I switched from "standalone" to Steam. I was surprised to find it downloaded everything anew. The advantage was that I had the two "versions" (standalone and steam) at the same time and people were saying that was "the way to go" at that time. A bunch of months have passed since then, so things might have changed. As I said, I did the Steam thing with RF2 in the first week or so that it was available. I was fairly new to RF2 then, too, so there wasn't much risk that I was going to lose anything I considered valuable. I've had it do some fairly large downloads when it finds corrupted/unacceptable files on my machine (when doing a "Verify Integrity").

3. SRGP

SRGP Registered

You could use the Steam "Save / Restore" game files, it should be better than simply copy/pasting the folder.
    1- On your PC, click "Steam" (top left corner) > "Save & Restore game files" > follow the steps to make a copy of your rF2 install
    2- On your father's PC, after he has rF2 in his library, click "Steam" (top left corner) > "Save & Restore" > follow the steps to install rF2 from the copy you have made in step 1

I have not tested this specifically for rF2 : There is a possibility the "player" folder and files will be copied and will need to be modified.

4. FrtizRommel

FrtizRommel Registered

Thanks for the replies!

5. rhamm

rhamm Registered

If he copies and pastes his own folder he'll still have to download 10.8gb of files for the game cache. Better to have him copy your files like SRGP said.