Steam Auto Subscription

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Garth Buchanan, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Garth Buchanan

Garth Buchanan Registered

Recently moved to a new race pc and new steam install. I already unsubscribed to all the default content on my previous install. Don't Auto add me right back.

Dumb

2. PaulG

PaulG Registered

Not really your point, but for future reference, if you keep your Steam files on a second hard drive/partition, you don't need to re-install Steam again when you re-install Windows/ get a new PC. You can just re-run Steam and use all your old files/settings. It's a handy way of doing things if its applicable to you.

3. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Does not work that way, Steam is dumb. I have rF2 in another HD and whenever I reset windows (or formated to go Win 10) Steam download all content again just to overwrite the files that are already in your PC, it's really annoying

4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Something went wrong for you then, I've reinstalled Windows a couple of times and had Steam games on another HD, when I reinstalled the Steam Client I just point it to those installed games and it sorts itself out very quickly. I do a validity check on them all just to be safe and a few extra files downloaded but never have I had to download all content again. So yes it does work that way :)

5. PaulG

PaulG Registered

Exactly. I've operated this way for 10 years. I've done it countless times. At this point, I've gotten so lazy I don't even reinstall the Steam client. I just re-create a new shortcut for my start menu and go to town. It's a little riskier (since you might have to clear some temp files if things don't work), but it usually works with zero hitches. This method, of course, assumes Steam is also installed on the separate drive/partition.

6. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

That's how it works here... after formating when I install Steam and point to the game folder in another HD it downloads all the workshop content again. Only rF2 has this issue.

7. PaulG

PaulG Registered

Hmm. The last time I reformatted Windows, it was a couple months ago when I updated to Windows 10. And Windows 10 refused to accept my Win 7 key with a clean install, so I was forced to upgrade from a Win 7 install (which obviously is different from a clean install and more tolerant). But I know in the past, I've been able to transfer Steam over to a new PC/Install without re-installing Steam. I'd just keep Steam installed on the second drive/partition, and then create a new shortcut link to the .exe on the new Windows install. That should absolutely save everything (assuming you can get it working that method... and Steam is shockingly nuclear proof with the abuses you can take in this area).

Edit: This obviously won't keep things that are saved in your My Documents folder. Although Gamesave Manager:

http://www.gamesave-manager.com/

GSM will scrape your hard drives for any associated save files/config files and is a cool thing to use if you're doing a planned upgrade/re-install of Windows.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2016