Starting fuel - Gallons/Laps...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tjc, Mar 19, 2013.

1. tjc

tjc Registered

Guys/ISI...

I`m wondering if there`s a way of changing the amount of starting fuel from gallons to laps? Maybe in the Player file (although I`ve had a look but not found anything, maybe it`s in the track file(s?))

Personally, I find it much easier to work with if the starting fuel is in laps as I may only want to do say, a three lap run but I don`t know how much fuel that`s going to take in gallons for each specific track...

Is there any way of changing the starting fuel to laps as opposed to gallons? If not, is that something we could have made so that we can have the choice of gallons or laps ISI?

Or... is there a relatively easy way of working it out for each given track?

Iirc (and there`s a chance I`m remembering wrongly :p) didn`t the starting fuel amount used to be in laps?

Maybe I`ll throw a wish in the wish list for this if it`s not something that can be changed yet...

2. Miro

Miro Registered

I've got liters and laps, but can't remember where you can change the settings right now.

Edit: go to settings - units, set it to metric

3. Radar

Radar Registered

To be honest, you are best to use litres (in your case gallons) per lap over number of laps per race..

Reasons being, every car is different, every driver is different, every lap is different. Someone who puts 10 laps worth of fuel in the car 'may' finish the race, but the person who is that little bit quicker may not make the distance because they may use more fuel.

Another example. My team mate and I had the same car, same setup, he had to pit on the final lap as the number of litres left wasn't going to make it across the finish line (we were communicating over TS to determine an extra stop or not). I finished 1st in this race with .3 litres left.

Honestly, get use to 'gallons' over laps and practice the one track to give you your approx fuel. Add an extra gallon or 2 as a safety if you wish but 1 laps worth of extra fuel could make all the difference with a slightly heavier car than the next person.

@Mrslfrsl. I think you will find that your settings change advice above will change it from Litres to Gallons, not Gallons to Laps or Litres to Laps.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2013
  4. tjc

tjc Registered

I appreciate your post and the point you make Radar and, your probably right.

It`s just that I`d like the option to have laps/gallons and also KG`s as that`s what F1 cars use...

I`ll try sticking to the gallons for now though (well, I don`t have a choice atm lol :p) and maybe it`ll become clearer to me.

Is there a way of working out how many gallons to laps at all?

5. Miro

Miro Registered

Just to be sure, that's what we are talking about, right?

[​IMG]

6. tjc

tjc Registered

Yip... :)

7. Radar

Radar Registered

You would need to do a few laps to give you the data you need (at least 10 to be honest, but 5 will give you some idea still).

If you run plugins for iPhone or Android, or even Motec, you will see that data changes lap after lap (in the opening laps), it's not till you get to about 5 laps or so that you will start to see the fuel per gallon (in your case) remain pretty much the same per lap..

From here, it's just times that by the number of laps, throw in a little extra for breathing space and you are done for xxx number of laps. :)

8. tjc

tjc Registered

Cheers Radar...

I`ll be experimenting with this and see how I go. I don`t run any plugins though. I take it one of the aforementioned is needed to gain that data?

9. Radar

Radar Registered

It does make it a lot easier to get the exact data you need, even if you just use the plugins for testing, then remove the plugin on race day if you didn't want to be running it during the race.

10. Zizza

Zizza Registered

I don't remember... but try in plr

11. tjc

tjc Registered

Guys...

T`would seem I have been a dumb ass... lol...

Some time ago (don`t know if it`s still the same or not) it was said to turn of fuel usage to help prevent the AI from never pitting (or some such AI/fuel problem anyway) and I`d always had it off since as I`ve not been racing much at all this last while, just testing.

Anyway, it seems that when fuel usage is turned on the starting fuel window shows the amount of gallons you have and laps!

YAY! :D

Anyway, I knew I`d seen the starting fuel in laps somewhere and glad I`ve found it now.

Thanks for all the responses and sorry for being a durrr!!!

:)

12. Armando

Armando Registered

I didn't know that. Good finding.

However, don't rely too much on the estimation of laps for the amount of fuel.
    Sometimes the difference with reality can be as high as 20-30%.

The only way to really know the amount of laps you can do is to make a calculation with your setup and your driving. The average in 3 or 4 timed laps should be enough to be able to get an approximate value of fuel per lap.

13. tjc

tjc Registered

Yeh I`m aware that laps is not maybe the most accurate way of measuring fuel... I`m going to be experimenting with working things out in gallons to see if that gives a more accurate reading.

:)