NEED INFO Starting an existing rf2 installation after a clean windows install

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by hardtohandle, Oct 3, 2013.

1. hardtohandle

hardtohandle Registered

OK, so I just reinstalled windows, you do not even want to know why.

I left my rfactor folder in place, and performed a clean install of windows without reformatting, hoping that I could then install directx and the c++ runtimes and rf would carry on working from where I left off. I have a lot of config changes and mods and don't want to go though it all again. Particularly as I reckon I have had to reinstall this thing about 40 times now, much tho I love rf2 I'm getting pretty sick of it. Oh I also copied in my old .rfactor folder of course.

So I'm ready to go and I thought rfactor might just start str8 up with all my mods etc.

The launcher starts, I can login, the buttons are enabled, but clicking them does nothing. Nothing starts, no error or anything. nothing happens. Single player and multiplayer.

I myself do not know any reason why rfactor does not start. I am not aware of rf2 requiring anything more that directx, c++ runtimes and the .rfactor folder outside of everything contained in the main install folder. Perhaps the installer puts stuff in the registry? I don't know. A normal windows desktop app obv will not work this way, it will have registry settings etc. For a game, they are often self contained and don't have any external dependancies. The only thing that is different from the old windows, is my new windows has newer nvidia drivers that's all (327.23).

I would very much like to get the existing rf2 installation working on the new windows, can anybody help?

Many thanks in advance,
    Hardtohandle

2. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

I would guess the .rfactor folder is associated with a particular windows install. Have you tried reactivating it in the purchase tab?

3. hardtohandle

hardtohandle Registered

I have asked ISI this before, and they say there is nothing tying the .rfactor folder to the windows or anything else.

I think if there was a problem with it, the single player and multi player panels would be greyed out, they are lit up and enabled in fact.

4. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

Is the Launcher etc all pointing to the correct folders? You could try re assigning them.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2013
  5. hardtohandle

hardtohandle Registered

Hmm clicking mod manager from the launcher crashes :( It does the 'scanning for rf2 mod files' thing then crashes. And clicking configure sim does nothing.

It should be pointing to the same folders as before, I have changed nothing, and moved nothing. It's kind of looking bad...

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: ModMgr.exe
    Application Version: 0.9.2.19
    Application Timestamp: 5229f00e
    Fault Module Name: ModMgr.exe
    Fault Module Version: 0.9.2.19
    Fault Module Timestamp: 5229f00e
    Exception Code: c00000fd
    Exception Offset: 00060dff
    OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48
    Locale ID: 2057
    Additional Information 1: d706
    Additional Information 2: d7069b13653fa156d0e596f09ea7fb0f
    Additional Information 3: 8f0c
    Additional Information 4: 8f0ca02137aae0ea680dd0302378077d

6. B. Gant

B. Gant Registered

Im upgrading my entire pc, sure hope i dont run into these sorts of problems when im reinstalling everything.

7. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

We probably do want to know, if it could still be causing problems... If not:

I assume you reinstalled the required runtimes, etc? You can't just copy over the directory without installing the required files. Download lite and install it over the top of what you saved to install them. Installing Lite should make sure both rF2 is up to date, and that the required runtimes, etc, are all installed again. Though frankly I don't understant too much why saving the activation and packages wasn't just OK, starting afresh. :)

8. 88mphTim

If you're upgrading, you would surely want to start with a fresh installation anyway, not carrying over settings etc which are no longer for your new system.

You WILL need to reactivate, as well, if the system changes enough. And if you are changing your system hugely, you'd want to reinstall Windows, as well.

9. hardtohandle

hardtohandle Registered

Yes i run the setups for the directx runtime, and the C++ redist runtime.

I have copied no directories (except .rfactor) anywhere, the rfactor folder is intact. Nothing has changed regard rfactor, my windows folder has changed that's all. The disk was no reformatted.

I am extremely reluctant to reinstall over the top of my existing install, because I did that once before and it screwed everything up worse than it was before and I bitterly regretted it.

So its just the 2 runtimes I installed, directx & c++ redist. I copied my .rfactor folder somewhere safe then put it back into my roaming folder after the windows reinstall. The rfactor folder is exactly where it has always been, and contains exactly what it contained before.

Unless there is something simple I am missing, much though I loathe to do so, I think a completely fresh install will be the best option. I have had a separate long standing problem of custom skins not working in my game, and a reinstall seems the only way to cure that too. But I can live without custom skins, so ordinarily is there anything else other than the directx, c++ runtimes and my .rfactor credentials folder that I need to in order to get the game working?

Many thanks.

10. hardtohandle

hardtohandle Registered

About your reply to B Gant, I did not myself reactivate. Presumably, so long as the buttons on the launcher are enabled and I can login, I can be sure I do not need to reactivate?

11. 88mphTim

There should be absolutely nothing that installing over the top could do to your installation, unless you've severely messed up your installation beforehand.

If you reinstalled windows, you did copy over everything to the new installation. Not just .rFactor. As far as Windows and rFactor2 are concerned, you have a fresh system, needing a fresh rF2 installation to function that could be created by using Lite, as I already said. I assume you reinstalled system drivers, etc, everything that a new system requires, as well? Windows Update will not pick those up for every device.

Yes, if the buttons are not greyed out, you do not need to reactivate, the activation is still working, as your HARDWARE has not changed enough. Your software, however, sounds to be completely screwed up now. I'd frankly never, ever reformat the way it sounds like you did. Eventually it's going to mess up.

12. hardtohandle

hardtohandle Registered

Not reformatting the disk makes little difference - I did a CLEAN install to a new folder, not a REPAIR. If your talking about repairs, then sure u can never be sure its gonna work properly, it's a bad idea. I never do that.

Thanks for the reassurance about the reactivation.

I am just gonna reinstall rfactor again and get it all setup the way I had it before.

13. canastos

canastos Registered

If you wish to keep your current rfactor2 installation intact, what I would do is:
    -make a backup of the whole Userdata folder
    -use Lite installer over you existing installation, of course pointing to the same folders you were previously using
    -and restore your Userdata folder (which probably hasn't been altered, but just in case ;))

byyyyyyyye

14. hardtohandle

hardtohandle Registered

I reinstalled a fresh lite build 300, it still don't work. But I have found out what it is.

When I click Configure Sim from the launcher nothing happens. When I launch rfconfig.exe directly, i get an error d3dx9_40.dll is missing. I have d3dx9_43.dll on my system.

The redist which comes with rfactor is d3dx9_43. The only dx files I have on the system originate from the rfactor installer.

What shall I do? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2013
  15. hardtohandle

hardtohandle Registered

OK i got the full 95mb dx install from microsoft and it solved the problem.

Tim, why does the dx redist that comes with rf2 not work?

16. 88mphTim

[MENTION=14505]hardtohandle[/MENTION]; You never said that you activated that after installing? Did you actually run the DX installer after you installed Windows? From what you posted, it sounded like you installed Windows and expected rF2 to run from the location you'd had it on your old Windows installation, which isn't correct. The redist works absolutely fine during an rF2 installation, which is what is needed with a fresh OS.